Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

US will stop taking IMGs  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

Hi Friends,
Someone told me that US residency programs will stop taking IMGs from 2015..Is this true?

www.usnews.com/education/be...wing-residency-competition

forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ency-slots-by-2015.858100/

Not in the near future.

If us stops taking IMG's then who will fund all this studying material+kaplan courses??For sure every year from now one the proportion will decrease but I don't think it will be impossible!

Yes, it will potentially be harder for IMGs to match in the future years because of the increased number of U.S. grads and a stagnant number of residency positions. There's been a lot of talk about this issue in the U.S. with hopes to change a cap of residency positions that was imposed by federal funding. You may be interested in a video by AAMC that explains this issue.

I've written an article on my website (www.StepsToResidency.com) about the most recent match result data from 2014, where I touch on the number of candidates being greater than the number of positions already, among other issues. I am planning to write more on the topic of what will be happening in the future.

Although this is speculation, I think that good IMG candidates will match above less competitive AMGs. If you're not a good IMG candidate, then the competition will potentially be much more heavy.

Aussiedoc wrote:

Although this is speculation, I think that good IMG candidates will match above less competitive AMGs.

Very debatable. Visa requirements will matter. I think the H1B visa is going to become very hard to get in the midst of all of this. Many hospitals no longer have the extra money to sponsor it. I know our hospital had to stop sponsoring H1B from last year.

Aussiedoc wrote:
If you're not a good IMG candidate, then the competition will potentially be much more heavy.

Agreed.

@indidoc1 - that's a good point about the visa situation. We'll have to wait and see how the changes in government policy and pressures from different stakeholders will affect this in the future.

No More IMGs for Residency Training Programs After 2015, Says Journal of American Medical Association

By 2015, the number of graduates from US medical schools is expected to surpass the number of positions in residency programs. Going with the trend of preference by US Residency Programs given to US Seniors, it will become nearly impossible for IMGs to get into US GME Programs.

IMGs play an important role in US Healthcare system. Currently, one-quarter of all physicians practicing in the United States and 10% to 15% of trainees in residency programs are IMGs.

Read more: www.medicalopedia.org/3946/...association/#ixzz33n74fyh5

In addition, medical residency programs are highly competitive, depending on the reputation of a particular medical institution or hospital or the location. Preferably a great number of applicants would want to be accepted to one of the John Hopkins residency programs or work in New York at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center as compared to a rural location. -source: http://www.residencypersonalstatement.biz/

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

English help for IMGs taking CS
any effect of american students taking exam in june on IMGs
cant stop,wont stop!
show Related resources

The IMGs Guide for USMLE and Residency
IMGs Guide to US Medicine and Residency
First Aid for the IMGs

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact