Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Can I help?  

• 100/5

Author31 Posts

katzung wrote:
Glad you are helping out Indidoc1. Good to hear you are doing your waiver. All the best.

Thanks. Hope you are doing well. All the best to you too.

ma_84 wrote:
Can someone please explain to me what NBME is. I am an IMG from Europe. I'm planning on taking the step 1 in January or February.
Can you keep the scores on NBME private? Why are there so many NBMEs (1-17?)?

You are better off asking this in the step 1 forum. I last dealt with NBME 7 years ago.

But what if you get an H 1b.visa and tell the hospital that you will pay for the visa expences?

Apart from MAVNI program another shortcut is the hardship waiver, which is extremely difficult to get and prove.

Though primary care waivers are easier to get some specialty waivers are getting harder.

Whilst thinking about the fellowships if you feel like its going to be hard for you to get into competitive ones like GI/Cards then go for H1B rather than J1. Situations like having not enough research to match into top programs.

If you have enough credentials to get into fellowship to begin with. (like u have enough research, scores, awards etc..) then J1 can be helpful.

The reason why I say this is that if ur on H1B whilst doing residency there are couple of advantages in this aspect.

1. If ur program is in a medically underserved area or HPSA the u can claim for independent green card without labor certification requirements via National Interest Waiver and count your residency time as being a part of your NIW requirement. (not many people know this!!)

2. Suppose u do not match after 3 years of residency into the fellowship of your choice then u can go out and work on some research in a big academic center and then reapply with stronger CV and credentials. (this does not work all the time, but does help in most cases).

There are obvious caveats to the above, but you need not worry about the same at this time.

Edited by katzung on Aug 19, 2014 - 4:58 PM

ma_84 wrote:
But what if you get an H 1b.visa and tell the hospital that you will pay for the visa expences?

I am no lawyer but my immigration lawyer told me the employer is required to pay for the labor certification and other fees. She said if a hospital allows a potential resident to pay, it is illegal and the hospital can get into a lot of trouble.

katzung wrote:
Apart from MAVNI program another shortcut is the hardship waiver, which is extremely difficult to get and prove.

Though primary care waivers are easier to get some specialty waivers are getting harder.

Whilst thinking about the fellowships if you feel like its going to be hard for you to get into competitive ones like GI/Cards then go for H1B rather than J1. Situations like having not enough research to match into top programs.

If you have enough credentials to get into fellowship to begin with. (like u have enough research, scores, awards etc..) then J1 can be helpful.

The reason why I say this is that if ur on H1B whilst doing residency there are couple of advantages in this aspect.

1. If ur program is in a medically underserved area or HPSA the u can claim for independent green card without labor certification requirements via National Interest Waiver and count your residency time as being a part of your NIW requirement. (not many people know this!!)

2. Suppose u do not match after 3 years of residency into the fellowship of your choice then u can go out and work on some research in a big academic center and then reapply with stronger CV and credentials. (this does not work all the time, but does help in most cases).

There are obvious caveats to the above, but you need not worry about the same at this time.

Excellent points... bottom-line- If you get a H1-B residency in the specialty of your choice, you hit the jackpot. If you get a J-1 residency, it's definitely not the end of the world. Whether someone compromises the specialty to get the visa of his/ her choice: individual decision.

I know more than 10 people who tried the hardship waiver. Only one got through and his wife was in the ICU fighting for her life at that time.

Hello everyone

thanks Indidoc1 for your useful advice. I have one question about matching possibility in IM. Can i change matching in IM?

Thanks for the helpsmiling face

Sawank wrote:
Hello everyone

thanks Indidoc1 for your useful advice. I have one question about matching possibility in IM. Can i change matching in IM?

Thanks for the helpsmiling face

I don't understand the question. Are you asking if a program you matched to can be changed after the Match?
No.

Well, technically possible by mutual consent of 2 programs but very hard to do.

Very sad to see the forum so quiet during the hustle and bustle of the Match. bbb doesn't seem to come around any more either. <sigh>

All the best to everyone in their endeavors. I'll check back from time to time.

hi here is the fact sheet

year of grad 2005
took all usmle steps by 2008 and scored low
gave up the idea and came to india
got into int med MD and finished in june 2014

not its been 7 years and my scores have expired
if i retake usmle now

will my old attempts show up on the application ????

what are my chances to match an int med prog ????

thanks in advance

No idea if the old attempts show up on your usmle transcript.
It is impossible to predict anyone's chances at a Match. I will say that most IMG physicians feel it is going to get very tough for IMGs from next year as the US grad numbers will close in on the number of residency slots available.
I hear this so many times... Only time will tell though.

Let me ask you a question in turn: you did an IM residency in India. Isn't the job market there picking up for local MDs? I keep on hearing how India is rising and there is a great demand for physicians. Why are you looking towards the US after achieving so much? I am not saying it's right or wrong; just curious.

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact