Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Can I help?  

• 100/5

Author31 Posts

Hello everyone,
I used to frequent this forum a long time back (or so it seems). I received help and guidance from many, many members like bbb, katzung, and others (too many to name). Now that I am about to complete fellowship, I finally have time to give something back and offer guidance to people going through the process. I have a very busy schedule but will try my best to log in at least once a week to answer any queries/ comments in this thread. I don't know everything about the process but will try to offer the best I can. Any question about the exams, match, visas, etc is fair game. Comments, jokes, contradictions, sarcasm and criticisms are welcome. I do not claim to be an expert and do not offer legal advice.

A few rules about the thread:
- Please post queries/ comments under this thread. I may not have time to go to other places on the forum.
- Please be patient. I will try to reply as soon as I can.
- I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS VIA PERSONAL MESSAGING. Please don't waste your time. Post your queries here so that everyone can benefit.
- If I say "I don't know", or my answer is unsatisfactory, please don't get offended. I am just being honest here

Hey- thanks for the offer. I am an 'old' American IMG grad (went to med school in Europe, grad. 2007, studying for Step 3 now, to be w/in the 7 yr. limit. Have not applied to residency yet, and don't honestly know if I ever will. Residency here sounds HARD to combine with kids (I have 4). Doc life in Europe is fine, but we miss the U.S. at times.

My questions:

1) Can residency here be survivable with 4 kids? (whom I like to see!)

2) What do you recommend for studying for Step 3? I am esp. in need of U.S. pharma help- as I mostly know generic European med names. I have read MTB and just purchased 30 days UW. My time is very limited, so I have to be hard-core, cut-to-the bone focused. I have a 3 year old at 'study partner' with me at all times ;-)

Thanks for any insight!

Hey- thanks for the offer. I am an 'old' American IMG grad (went to med school in Europe, grad. 2007, studying for Step 3 now, to be w/in the 7 yr. limit. Have not applied to residency yet, and don't honestly know if I ever will. Residency here sounds HARD to combine with kids (I have 4). Doc life in Europe is fine, but we miss the U.S. at times.

My questions:

2) What do you recommend for studying for Step 3? I am esp. in need of U.S. pharma help- as I mostly know generic European med names. I have read MTB and just purchased 30 days UW. My time is very limited, so I have to be hard-core, cut-to-the bone focused. I have a 3 year old at 'study partner' with me at all times ;-)

Thanks for any insight!

hi indidoc1,
thanks for the offer.is there any possibility to get residency for someome who completed their graduation 7 or 10 yrs back.
i would really appreciate your reply. thank you again.

Kristina1973 wrote:

My questions:

Thanks for any insight!

1) Depends on what residency you are interested in, what kind of familial support system you have, how busy your significant other is, etc. I will put forward a more familiar scenario: many women can go through pregnancy in their intern year and take care of an infant through residency. If they can do it, surviving with 4 kids shouldn't be impossible. Surgical specialties may make it harder but the ACGME regulations on duty hours will allow you at least some family time. I have seen people with 3-4 kids get through IM residency with flying colors.

2) I used my step 2 CK notes and UW for Step 3. It was 5 years ago so things may have changed. Back then, I was very nervous as I had 7 weeks of prep time between residency interviews for Step 3. Turned out OK though.
The good news for you is: Step 3 uses only generic names for meds.

tamarausmle1 wrote:
hi indidoc1,
thanks for the offer.is there any possibility to get residency for someome who completed their graduation 7 or 10 yrs back.
i would really appreciate your reply. thank you again.

I think you already know the answer. Impossible? I don't think so; but very hard.
Many state licensing boards have limits on the number of years out of medical school.
From my experience with selecting candidates to interview for our program: a key question everyone will look at- What have you been up to/ achieved in those 7 or 10 years? I have recommended a candidate for interview who was 8 years out: he had spent 3 as a physician in his country, 3 doing top notch research and 2 in working as medical assistant and volunteering/ shadowing at a local hospital. He had stellar letters of recommendation. We ended up pre-matching him, and he is one of our best residents currently: just matched into a cardiology fellowship.

I am glad that you are now helping out others as you were helped out. It says alot about you.

I also decided to try and do the same thing after being absent from this forum for ~ 2 years. Will start PGYIII in 1 month and then take up position as Chief Resident at my training program.

All the best to you.

Thank you and all the best to you.

what is the latest date to apply for cs test to catch 2015 match

thank u

Read this:

www.ecfmg.org/news/2014/04/...-now/#sthash.gFaoSmfz.dpbs

Also see the results reporting schedule:

www.ecfmg.org/news/2014/06/...ults/#sthash.qPZbxQ7H.dpbs

I would aim to have my results back by early September at the latest; so take the test by July 12.

The above reply was keeping in mind the ideal scenario. Technically, as long as you take CS by December 31, you would be ECFMG certified by the match. However, with the competition intensifying, I would advise being ECFMG certified as early in the game as possible.

When we were selecting candidates to interview, not having CS results available was definitely a negative. In fact, ECFMG certification was one of the filters we used on ERAS during our first pass.

thank u very much

best of luck

Hello to everybody!
Indidoc1 many thanks for your precious advice!
I would like to ask something about matching possibility in internal medicine.
I'm an img,YOG:2013,planning to apply for 2016 match.
I have no USCE and I plan to try to match with very good scores(step 1 250+,step 2 260+). Since graduation I'm working as a military doctor in my country.
Do you thing I have any change matching in IM?

Thanks for the help!

Hello to everybody!
I have no USCE and I plan to try to match with very good scores(step 1 250+,step 2 260+). Since graduation I'm working as a military doctor in my country.

Thanks for the help!

lazaros27 wrote:
Hello to everybody!

Thanks for the help!

Questions about chances of matching are extremely tricky. So many factors, including luck go into the Match that any predictions are mere conjectures. This may seem hard to understand at first, but think of it as applying for a job. Imagine that you are hiring a front office staff member for your practice. Obviously, you will have minimum educational requirements in mind. But if you get 1000 applications for the job, there are countless other factors which determine who you pick to interview. It will be impossible for even you to predict the chances of someone's success; even if you are picking the candidates.

Glad you are helping out Indidoc1. Good to hear you are doing your waiver. All the best.

Can someone please explain to me what NBME is. I am an IMG from Europe. I'm planning on taking the step 1 in January or February.
Can you keep the scores on NBME private? Why are there so many NBMEs (1-17?)?

I received a PM: I do not answer PMs but will post a reply here

hi indidoc1
I saw ur reply in my post and also saw ur status saying you did in j1.hope you can answer my questions.
1)what are the risk of doing residency in J1.
2) Will I have issue to get into fellowship.
3)how hard is it to get a waiver job.is it harder than getiing match.
4)Do you know what exactly they mean that we have to go to homecountry after completing residency.
5)and what should I do in my home country for that two years.
6)If I go to my home country how can I come back to work here.Will there be any issue too come bcak.
7)and if my spouse get a green card will I be able to get tranfered before i do my waiver job.
Can you be true with me and tell me the exact risk.as I have a lot of regrets in my life and i dont want to add more.

1) What are the risk of doing residency in J1.
None if you are doing a primary care/ psych/ peds residency or want to do a hospitalist job. If you want to specialize, you'll have to find a J1-waiver job in your specialty or do primary care/ hospitalist for the 3 years of the waiver. It is harder to find waiver jobs in some specialties but not so in specialties like cardio, GI, geriatrics, rheumatology, endocrinology, etc. It's going to get harder and harder to get a H1-B visa as most hospitals are financially strapped.

2) Will I have issue to get into fellowship.
Most fellowships sponsor J-1s much more readily than H1-B

3)how hard is it to get a waiver job.
Depends on your specialty: see above.

4)Do you know what exactly they mean that we have to go to home country after completing residency.
Exactly what you wrote: either do a waiver job or go to to the country you started out from.

5)and what should I do in my home country for that two years.
Work as an esteemed US trained physician, hopefully earning good money and respect with a much better lifestyle.

6)If I go to my home country how can I come back to work here.Will there be any issue too come bcak.
No personal experience but I would assume it would be harder to come back. Shouldn't be impossible though.

7)and if my spouse get a green card will I be able to get transfered before i do my waiver job.

No. There are no shortcuts to a J-1 waiver except the army's MAVNI program. google it if you are interested.

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact