Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

IM: IVs/Rejections Thread 2013  

• 93.4/5

Author657 Posts

Thanks ArunARsmiling face

Ok, I said I'm gonna come back with some details and especially for future match candidates, so here I go:
I got a total of 13 interviews (applied to 57 programs):
Norwalk Hospital, CT
Bridgeport Hospital, CT
UConn, CT
Good Samaritan, Baltimore
Weiss Memorial Hospital, Chicago (cancelled)
Monmouth Med Center, Long Branch, NJ (cancelled)
Loma Linda Univ, CA
Eisenhower, Rancho Mirage, CA
St. Mary Med Center Long Beach, CA
Cleveland Clinic, Ohio (cancelled)
William Beaumont, Royal Oak, MI (cancelled)
Methodist Hospital, Dallas, TX
Presbyterian Hospital, Dallas, TX - got this one on Jan 7th! - probably an open spot from someone cancelling

I guess there are many factors that affect where you apply, and even more affect where you want to go, especially after going through the interviews...
I had family in CA and TX so I tried to focus on those states. On the other hand I looked at other states that would favor career opportunities for my husband, like CT...I can't say I did a very good research before applying, and I must say some of the interviews/rejections I got where a surprise, which is why I would advise with regard to chances, and odds: take even the smallest chance you think you've got!! and don't be bummed by rejections

Tips for interviews...relax, be yourself, see it as an opportunity for YOU to find out more about the program, not necessarily a chance to impress.

Tips for ranking... rank in order of YOUR preference, forget about chances, forget about what others want or think is BEST for you...unless, of course, they are significant others smiling face
I cancelled some interviews because of personal issues ( the ones I wasn't really thrilled about going to were the ones in Chicago and NJ, I regret not going to Cleveland Clinic and William Beaumont)

@clean_press...not sure how to interpret your msg, thanks I guess! I'm not familiar with the fictional character you mentioned ( I wish I could have spent more time like others on this forum to share more details of my story on the journey to residency... I just don't find the time and I'm very slooooow at writing a post. I guess you couldn't know I'm a wife and a mother, due to give birth to my second child just shortly after starting my intern year... maybe you can find a different name to fit me better now ;p) Anyways, congratulations to you too! I guess the journey has just begun!

I thank the Lord for everything! God bless you all in this journey!

Just wanted to post that it was my third rank that I matched at 1. Suny downstate 2. Penn state 3. Drexel

Lol don't worry kiousagi it's a compliment

Hey peeps,

This is my credentials
223/ 244/ Pass CS/ all 1st attempt/ yet to take Step3/ YOG 2012/ USCE - 1 month clinical elective/ 2 US LoR/ no publication

I'm currently applying for 2-month clerkships at stateside in July and August before my graduation in Sept this year. My chief intention is to get as much US LoR as possible. I am also planning to take Step 3 after my graduation.

I will take part in ERAS for the coming season. I am curious what are my chances of getting into an IM residency program.

Edited by Clyde88 on Apr 05, 2013 - 8:56 PM

Super good. You're a very recent grad and with good credentials. You're fine.

Thanks tundri

kiousagi wrote:
Ok, I said I'm gonna come back with some details and especially for future match candidates, so here I go:
I got a total of 13 interviews (applied to 57 programs):
Norwalk Hospital, CT
Bridgeport Hospital, CT
UConn, CT
Good Samaritan, Baltimore
Weiss Memorial Hospital, Chicago (cancelled)
Monmouth Med Center, Long Branch, NJ (cancelled)
Loma Linda Univ, CA
Eisenhower, Rancho Mirage, CA
St. Mary Med Center Long Beach, CA
Cleveland Clinic, Ohio (cancelled)
William Beaumont, Royal Oak, MI (cancelled)
Methodist Hospital, Dallas, TX
Presbyterian Hospital, Dallas, TX - got this one on Jan 7th! - probably an open spot from someone cancelling

I guess there are many factors that affect where you apply, and even more affect where you want to go, especially after going through the interviews...
I had family in CA and TX so I tried to focus on those states. On the other hand I looked at other states that would favor career opportunities for my husband, like CT...I can't say I did a very good research before applying, and I must say some of the interviews/rejections I got where a surprise, which is why I would advise with regard to chances, and odds: take even the smallest chance you think you've got!! and don't be bummed by rejections

Tips for interviews...relax, be yourself, see it as an opportunity for YOU to find out more about the program, not necessarily a chance to impress.

Tips for ranking... rank in order of YOUR preference, forget about chances, forget about what others want or think is BEST for you...unless, of course, they are significant others smiling face
I cancelled some interviews because of personal issues ( the ones I wasn't really thrilled about going to were the ones in Chicago and NJ, I regret not going to Cleveland Clinic and William Beaumont)

@clean_press...not sure how to interpret your msg, thanks I guess! I'm not familiar with the fictional character you mentioned ( I wish I could have spent more time like others on this forum to share more details of my story on the journey to residency... I just don't find the time and I'm very slooooow at writing a post. I guess you couldn't know I'm a wife and a mother, due to give birth to my second child just shortly after starting my intern year... maybe you can find a different name to fit me better now ;p) Anyways, congratulations to you too! I guess the journey has just begun!

I thank the Lord for everything! God bless you all in this journey!

This is a good idea - I'll put up my list as well

Creds are on the bottom

2 US LORs from observerships at the University of Cincinnati and LSU New Orleans, 1 non-US LOR

I applied pretty broadly (except to States where I knew I wouldn't want to live - like Arizona, Texas, Mississippi, the Dakotas etc)

17 invites

Jersey Shore Univ Med Center - NJ
Newark Beth Israel - Newark, NJ
Flushing Hospital Med Center - NYC
Icahn SOM (Mt. Sinai) Elmhurt - NYC
NY Methodist Hospital - Park Slope, NYC
Advocate Illinois Masonic - Chicago, IL
Advocate Illinois Christ - Oak Lawn, IL
Mt. Sinai Hospital of Chicago - Chicago, IL
Rosalind Franklin University - Waukegan, IL
University of Illinois Urbana Champagne - Urbana, IL
Baltimore General Hospital - Baltimore, MD (Cancelled)
Creighton University - Omaha, Nebraska
University at Buffalo - Buffalo, NY
U Conn Primary Care - New Britain, CT
University of Cincinnati - Cincinnati, OH
St. Mary's Waterbury - Waterbury, CT
Unity Health Systems - Rochester, NY

Matched at UB smiling face

PM me if you have further questions

I need some advice!

I did a rotation in neurology 3 years ago and got a strong LOR from the attending that I worked with. As an IMG, I was thinking that I could also ask the then chief resident. Do you guys think that is advisable, I know that among US grads, it is absolutely not done, but as an IMG, could it be worth it?

matched at Henry Ford Hospital. my top choice.
this forum is relatively inactive, so i stopped posting on it.

Thanks for letting us know Shahzaib!!

Best of luck in your first year of residency!!!

Guys... chances of getting IM this year?

step 1 219/93, step 2 249, CS passed all first attempted. 2 years usce. 4 US lors. I am worrisome the filter of >220 will cut me out?

2013 graduate. 234 Step 1, 238 Step 2CK, CS Pass. All first attempt. US Citizen. 2 months of USCE with 3 US LORs and 1 Non US LOR. Chance of matching IM?

thecalccobra wrote:
2013 graduate. 234 Step 1, 238 Step 2CK, CS Pass. All first attempt. US Citizen. 2 months of USCE with 3 US LORs and 1 Non US LOR. Chance of matching IM?

Consider yourself matched already.

Step 1: 235
Step 2 ck: 229
step 2 cs: passed on first attempt
1 pubmed publication
Graduated in 2010, have 1 month us clinical experience from med school clerkship, with a letter of recommendation from the attending for medicine. I completed a 1 year mandatory internship (completed in 2011) in my home country and have worked both full time and part time in the ER in my country
What do u guys think are my chances of matching into medicine??

Guys,, are research electives any better than clinical electives ,,??
i wish to apply for radiology, but i haven't done any research or anything like this, feeling guilty.!!
what can i do now to strengthen my CV,, m in last year of my graduation !!
anyone there ??

Hey my guy got a step1 score 229 and step 2 score 235 3 publications...1 of it is pubmed publication.....us lors 3.....all externship lors ....wat are chances for IM residency??

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

IV/REJECTIONS match 2013
Neurology Rejections Thread - 2009
MATCH 2010- Rejections thread
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact