Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Neuro Applicants 2013 gather here  

• 100/5

Author179 Posts

4th IV experience - prelim

It was in Baltimore, last week. Nice people, but the questions were tougher. I did not need to present a case or anything, but they asked things like:

- If you could change something in yourself, what would you change?
- Imagine a chaotic situation like this... how would you deal with that?
- If you have done the following mistake... how would you deal with that?
- What would be most challenging for you as a PGY-1?

Please, don't ask me to answer those questions... =)

Of note #1, there was another IMG interviewing there. He had similar credentials than mine. However, he has completed a residency in his home country.

Of note #2, I heard AMGs saying that they are considering to cancel IVs next month. So, be hopeful if you are on hold somewhere. I think things are gonna get crazy next month!

Wish the best of luck for all!

Neurodreamer wrote:
4th IV experience - prelim

It was in Baltimore, last week. Nice people, but the questions were tougher. I did not need to present a case or anything, but they asked things like:

- If you could change something in yourself, what would you change?
- Imagine a chaotic situation like this... how would you deal with that?
- If you have done the following mistake... how would you deal with that?
- What would be most challenging for you as a PGY-1?

Please, don't ask me to answer those questions... =)

Of note #1, there was another IMG interviewing there. He had similar credentials than mine. However, he has completed a residency in his home country.

Of note #2, I heard AMGs saying that they are considering to cancel IVs next month. So, be hopeful if you are on hold somewhere. I think things are gonna get crazy next month!

Wish the best of luck for all!

smiling face Thanks for keeping us posted on your interviews ND....you'd mentioned the pre-interview dinners - what is the dress code for them? Also, are you emailing your interviewers a thank you note or sending across a handwritten one?

I know these are questions answered many times on this forum and others, but just wanted to get your inputs since you have a very balanced and practical view on things. Thanks in advance!

@doofus12, you are welcome!

Dress code - they say casual wearing, but i haven't seen anybody with jeans. Most people use shoes, collared shirt, belt, "formal" pants, but no tie.

Most people e-mail thank you notes. There are probably some crazy applicants that send handwritten notes. However, I don't think interviewers read either one. I rarely have got a replay from them.

#5th IV experience - prelim in a community program in NY, 95% of applicants were IMGs. There was no question, only an explanation that they will call the best applicants for pre-matching. All positions will be fulfilled by pre-matching. Probably because the area is not desirable, no electronic records, etc.

Wish the best of luck for all, as always!

Thanks Neurodreamer - and ditto, wish the best of luck for all smiling face

# 6th IV experience - prelim in MA

The interview was a waste of time and money.
The interviewer was ridiculous. It seems that he did not know what he was doing there. Probably he accepted to be an interviewer to cover somebody or whatever. He most likely did not read a word of my application before the interview. So, he took a piece of paper with some questions and start to shoot them at me. Most of them were behavioral questions: what would you do if... for exemple... another resident from your team did a mistake... etc. The bottom line is: a guy like him will never advocate for anybody, except his buddies!

The other interviewers seem pretty nice. You gotta be lucky!

Of note #1, the majority of the applicants were IMGs applying for a categorical internal medicine position

Of note #2, I have met a good amount of IMGs with relative low scores (~220) and several interviews (10+) for internal medicine. So, if you have low scores, work on your application, enhance your CV, because it is not that impossible as people depict here.

Edited by Neurodreamer on Nov 27, 2012 - 11:49 PM

neurodreamer - did u hear back from Yale?

any calls from BU/ Tufts?

@ brainmaze

I heard that BU and Yale send rejection letters. If you did not receive rejection letters from them, you are in their "on-hold" lists.

I interviewed at BU and I'm on hold at Yale. I haven't heard from Tufts.

yeah im on hold at yale as well - just that i dont know if it will ever actually translate into an iv

Tufts is yet to review IMG applications and will be doing so in dec end and jan

Dear friends,
Please help me make a wise decision. Accepting the prelim. pre-match offer or not?
1.I have 7 Neuro IVs. 1 of them is categorical, 4 are advanced but guarantee prelim. in the same hospital and 2 are advanced without any guarantee about prelim.
2.I got a very good feed back from one of the programs I have been interviewed in. This program is advanced without any guarantee of prelim. They are going to rank me high on their list.
3.I have a pre-match offer from a not very desirable prelim. program.
My question is:
Is it wise to sign the prelim. prematch and miss one neurology interview (categorical) and the possibility of getting matched in the 4 other programs which offer prelim. in the same hospital?
I greatly appreciate your help dear all
I wish all of you the very best of luck

2. It is in the interest of programs to say they will rank you highly - but how do you know, they don't say that to everyone?

3. Statistically, with 7 neuro IV's, only one categorical, 4 advanced w guaranteed prelim, wouldn't it be much wiser to reject the prematch??

@sanaaaaz

I would take it only if my dream program is the one that does not offer prelim and I feel I have a very good chance to match there.

I am a FMG planning to apply for neurology residency programs next year and I need some advice. My CK score is 229 (first attempt), passed CS on first attempt and will be sitting Step 1 on July 1st. I have one month of hands on US clinical experience (with a great LOR) and graduated in 2010. I am wondering what are my chances without step 3 and when is the latest I can actually sit step 1! Anyone with helpful advice..... please offer. Thanks!!

@ sparx2010

It is difficult to tell, because there are other several factors that are important in an application. However, if you do well in step 1, and you have a good academic record in your home medical school, you may still get some ivs if you apply wisely (low competitive programs).
Step 1 scores are usually released 3-4 weeks after the exam. ERAS opens in september 15th. So you may want to take the exam before August 15th. However, being ECFMG certified is also helpful. If you take it in late july or early august you may have the ecfmg certification by the time ERAS opens. Make sure to have your medical credentials verified even prior to your step 1.
Another strategy would be the following: use IM Categorical as a backup plan. If you don't match in Neuro, you can do IM and apply for neuro later. Your application will be stronger, and you may get a position even at very good university programs.

wish you the best of luck!

Thank you soo much for your reply. I was thinking to putting off my application until 2014 so that I can complete step 3, do some observerships and get some more US LORs but after this report ( jama.jamanetwork.com/articl...cle.aspx?articleid=1475200 ), I am verry concerned about my chances sad. I am also contemplating what you suggested about applying for internal medicine instead. I think alot of my decisions depend on my step 1 score... Hoping for 240+

sparx2010 wrote:
Thank you soo much for your reply. I was thinking to putting off my application until 2014 so that I can complete step 3, do some observerships and get some more US LORs but after this report ( jama.jamanetwork.com/articl...cle.aspx?articleid=1475200 ), I am verry concerned about my chances sad. I am also contemplating what you suggested about applying for internal medicine instead. I think alot of my decisions depend on my step 1 score... Hoping for 240+

I disagree with the article. I believe that are 2 types of IMGs:
1) Those who fulfill spots where AMGs don't want to go.
2) Those who are way more qualified than the average AMG.

For the 2), there will always be a spot. Many PDs prefer a motivated and qualified IMG than a mediocre and lazy AMG. As the number of MDs is increasing due to opening of medical schools with questionable quality, the increase in AMGs will be an increase of mediocre applicants.

Moreover, the article does not take into consideration the beginning of the Obama health care, which will increase very significantly the demand for health care, and subsequently, doctors, especially in IM (primary care) and FM. So, there is also a hope for 1). Obama health care may also decrease the average salary for multiple specialty, which will decrease the interest of american students to pursue a very expensive MD.

Of note, the country makes a lot of money with IMG applications. Imagine how much money they will lose if this system closes to IMGs. It is more profitable to allow some qualified IMGs to get in, and let some unqualified AMGs out of the residency.

You make some very valid points. Lets hope all goes well with my step 1...

There's a lull at present - both in terms of interview calls and rejections. One doomsday has come and gone and we're still all here, still standing. I'm sure we can deal with whatever comes our way smiling face

I know life will make more sense once we match into a residency, but in the meantime lest we forget, there are a million other things which make life worthwhile. Dum spiro spero.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year! May the force be with all of us (yup I confess, I am one of those Star Wars geeks) grin

well said, doofus12!

wish you all happy holidays, especially for those like me, far from their families, but still in the US, because it was less expensive to stay and wait for the rest of the interviews in january.!

@ Neurodreamer - I was in the same boat! Though I went out and celebrated with my newfound friends, I still missed friends and family back home. Still, this experience is one amongst the many that makes the journey what it is and nothing worth having ever comes easy (I think the match process will turn me into a philosopher or a hippie)

@everyone - Wish you all a very Happy New Year - may all our dreams come true smiling face

Anyone also sick of interviews at this point? Seriously, it has been painful lately. I wish I could cancel all my ivs and go back home to wait for the most important day of my life: the match day.

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

matched applicants in IM plz gather
Neuro 2014, let's gather here
FA 2013 or 2012 for exm in 2013
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact