Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Confused about cytochromep450  

• 0/5

Author3 Posts

Can anyone plizzzzzzzz help me with this Cytochrome p450 ?
I don't seem to get what it does at all .. I know it helps in drug metabolism but how ? Does it deactivate drugs or activate it ? I know it's a stupid question ...

Many drug interactions are a result of inhibition or induction of cytochrome P450 enzymes (CYP450). The basic purpose of drug metabolism in the body is to make drugs more water soluble and thus more readily excreted in the urine or bile. One common way of metabolizing drugs involves the alteration of functional groups on the parent molecule (e.g., oxidation) via the cytochrome P450 enzymes.

Drug interactions involving the cytochrome P450 isoforms generally result from one of two processes, enzyme inhibition or enzyme induction. Enzyme inhibition usually involves competition with another drug for the enzyme binding site. This process usually begins with the first dose of the inhibitor, and onset and offset of inhibition correlate with the half-lives of the drugs involved.

Enzyme induction occurs when a drug stimulates the synthesis of more enzyme protein enhancing the enzyme's metabolizing capacity. It is somewhat difficult to predict the time course of enzyme induction because several factors, including drug half-lives and enzyme turnover, determine the time course of induction.

cool

Thank you for the question and the answer

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

I am still confused
confused
Confused
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact