Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

xenopus motivational.......  

• 100/5

Author43 Posts

The Yuki saga

Edited by xenopus on Jul 05, 2012 - 1:20 PM

OK. I got banned again. Now I understand how the banning works. 

I was trying to embed a video about a recent interview with a physician advocate for single payer (upwithchrishayes.msnbc.msn....benefits-in-obamacare?lite) and made several attempts as the layout was incorrect. After the third attempt or so I could no longer access the prep4usmle website.

So the banning is automatic, has nothing to do with my posts and rather is more related to attempting to go back and forth and try to display a post in a particular way. It will reset in several weeks. This might be a system to keep spammers away from the website. 

Hi XEN!

Just wanted to share the most accurate test for RA...which has been postulated as anticitrullinated cyclic peptide being superior over RA factor.

On May 21, 2012 - 6:09 PM, xenopus responded:
Hi Kiran, thanks. AntiCitrulinated Ab is more specific for Rheumathoid arthritis. Thanks for stopping by. Best, xen

Edited by drkiran on May 22, 2012 - 4:46 PM

Stat order. I didn't know this one:

STAT means "immediately".

A shortening of the Latin word 'statim' which means "immediately"

Cardiac monitor, stat.

CBC, stat.

I'm reviewing the tutorial for CSS software. It's truly boring!!!. These USMLE people possibly to save money decided to use a prerecorded voice to narrate all the steps for the CSS software. They didn't hire a professional announcer or speaker that will describe with a natural voice, not even a physician who would have made it look like it has something to do with medicine. It's truly distracting to follow this robotic voice and at the same time trying to concentrate on what 'the guy' is saying. 

This is a huge business and not exactly a employment generating one. 

One of the CSS cases was about a 45-yr old married woman who complained of epigastric pain. She smokes, drinks ocassionaly. She ended up being diagnosed with a duodenal ulcer by endoscopy, but what I found interesting is that in addition to the orders to treat her ulcer, there were a few general orders addressing risk factors. A few were: 

-no aspirin

-no smoking

-no drinking

-regular exercise 

-safe sex

I'm OK with no smoking, no aspirin and no drinking, but how about the other two?  - Being a married 45 yr woman instead of counseling safe sex & regular exercise, it should be the opposite: regular sex & safe exercise. And it's no brainer: couples barely have sex at this age, and being a bit old she might have an accident during exercise. I hope they fix that in the test. 

(just joking!). 

Mnemonic for 'miscarriage' (abortion types) --> M-i-i-s-t-carriage

Edited by xenopus on Dec 30, 2014 - 8:48 PM. : key words added

Preeclampsia mnemonic

I’m trying to memorize some of the items for the Patient counseling part of Computarized Clinical cases (CSS).

These are some I've found.

-Regular Diet
-Medication compliance
-Safe sex practice.
-Contraception counseling
-Seat belt while driving
-Go to Church
-Buy local
-Give to the poor
-Safe driving (don’t speed up, respect pedestrians, don’t give the finger)
-Support our troops.
-Vote Republican
-Cut your hair
-Dress politely
-Avoid profanity
-Say …"Thanks"
-Smile
-Say …"Please"
-Take a shower every day.
-Call 911 if anything seems out of order.

Suicidal patient:

-Suicide precautions

-Suicide contract

-Patient counseling

-Reassurance

-No illegal drug use

-Vaya con Dios

-Camine por la sombrita.

Diabetic patient:

-Diabetic diet (American Diabetic Association)

-Advance Diet

-Diabetic teaching

-Patient education, diabetes

-Diabetic foot care, routine

-Diabetic eye care, routine

-Home glucose monitoring, instruct patient, stat

Edited by xenopus on Jul 07, 2012 - 8:05 AM

Plastic waste.

Read more here:

http://ecowatch.org/2012/marine-litter-birds/

http://chrisjordan.com/gallery/midway/#CF000313%2018x24

A mnemonic for acute infectious diarrhea. I always forget. Let's see how it goes with this mnemonic. Hopefully I won't forget it.

A modification of the opioid receptor mnemonic, inspired from here http://www.mediglyphics.com/public/Pharmacology/opioids

So I just reviewed one question about which factors are more important to slow down the progress of an aortic abdominal aneurysm (AAA) in a patient who has all the major risk factors for cardiovascular disease:

-Hypertension

-Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol)

-DM-2

-Smoking

-Alcohol intake

They ask: Controlling which single risk factors will have a greater impact on slowing down his disease?

You'd think they did a study in a patient population with all risk factors, and each subgroup of patients were treated for just one single factor. Let's say that there are 1,000 patients who smoke, drink alcohol, have high cholesterol, have DM-2 and are hypertensive. Let's say that in such study 200 patients were randomly chosen and treated for a single factor, say 200 quit smoking, another 200 stopped drinking alcohol, another 200 controlled their DM-2, another 200  controlled their hypertension, another 200 controlled their DM. You'd think they did such a study to figure out the question that an AMG  or an IMG should answer without thinking twice. But no. Such study has never been performed.

But the answer somehow is that stop smoking has the greatest benefit on his AAA. Even if you knew that, you 'd never do that. You'd never control one single thing. However, the USMLE committee expects you to know that in an ideal situation that has never happened in real life, stopping smoking has the greatest benefit. - So the question is: Isn't the greatest benefit to control all of the risk factors even if mediocre-wise? Wouldn't it be better at least to have better glycemic, better cholesterol levels, better blood pressure levels and decrease smoking and drinking even if the perfect goals have never been obtained? - I believe this is the way to go, and this is the way you'd normally proceed, but USMLE wants you to know what risk factor is the most critical to control even if data for such assumption has never been gathered.

It's all fake folks...just memorize the damn thing, get a high score and live happily ever after...drinking, smoking and eating and having lots of sex, because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. It's just a score to get into residency...to fvck, drink, smoke and eat like a pig.

The mnemonic SIGECAPS is pretty popular but in front of a patient I can never remember it with sufficient fluency. Hopefully this way I'll be able to have it at my fingertips, arranged in a story framed in a given day.

xenopus wrote:
So I just reviewed one question about which factors are more important to slow down the progress of an aortic abdominal aneurysm (AAA) in a patient who has all the major risk factors for cardiovascular disease:

• Hypertension
  • Hyperlipidemia (high cholesterol)
  • DM-2
  • Smoking
  • Alcohol intake

They ask: Controlling which single risk factors will have a greater impact on slowing down his disease?

But the answer somehow is that stop smoking has the greatest benefit on his AAA.

Now, the same question but for ischemic stroke. Controlling which single factors gives the most benefit for stroke?

• Not hyperlipidemia even if this clogs your carotid.
  • Not DM2 if this causes hyperlipidemia that can clog your carotid.
  • Not smoking that damages your arteries including your carotid.
  • Not alcohol intake that can damage everything else.

It's hypertension!!

Great Xenopus! when is ur test? I plan to join the journal land next year smiling face
TTYS

GZ.

On Dec 16, 2012 - 7:54 AM, xenopus responded:
Hi Grazie. I heard you did great in your test. - I haven't scheduled because I don't feel ready. Because I haven't heard to awesome scores for Step 3, I presume this is a harder test even for memory athletes.

Hi Grazie. I heard you did great in your test. - I haven't scheduled because I don't feel ready. Because I haven't heard to awesome scores for Step 3, I presume this is a harder test even for memory athletes.

This is something I made last night.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/1101/p1617.html

Edited by xenopus on Dec 16, 2012 - 8:44 AM. : reference

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Xenopus motivational bull@#$%&!
need motivational partner-MP
Motivational animations
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact