Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

1 year waiver from ABP  

• 0/5

Author1 post

I have finished my Pediatric training from India and have matched for a 3 years position at one of the very good programs. However, in the meantime, I applied for a waiver of 1 year of training to ABP which I received. Now, I have to talk to my program director to see if she will agree to accept the waiver.

I am now desperately looking for answers to some questions

1. I plan to go for Pediatric cardiology fellowship and the application begins in January. So, I will have maximum 7 months before my fellowship application. Is it doable?

2. Some people have told me that a lot of states require a 3 year training for certification and licensing. Does any one know if it is true and if so what percentage of states? Also, the fact that I will be doing fellowship training, will that change the equation?

3. I understand that it might be a little late to talk to the PD about waiver now but I did not talk about it earlier as I felt that it sort of had a negative impact on my interview wherever I started the topic during the interview. So, I did not want to risk not matching at all and thus delayed asking this question. Any suggestions on how to approach this with the PD now?

4. Finally, I was looking for some hurdles some of you more experienced folks faced after taking the waiver to see if it is worth saving one year.

Any form of guidance or suggestion is much appreciated.

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

1 year waiver from ABP
1 year waiver from ABP
waiver for one year of residency
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact