• 0/5

Author16 Posts

help wanted

International Medical Graduate. Graduated 2003. No GC. USMLE scores
step 1 - 82 (202) 1st attempt, 2006
step 2 - 76 1st attempt, 2006
step 2 CS 1st attempt, 2007
step 3 - 79 (205) 4th attempt, 2011

Some 1-2 months US observership/ externship experiences, but a lot of gap between them. I can't go back to my country. I couldn't apply 2 previous years because of lack of money and low self esteem due to failure in Step 3. I can't apply for SOAP because I didn't apply last year. Do you think its worth trying for residency this coming September? People say I don't have chance. But why? I don't understand. Is score everything to judge me? Won't people see how persistent I was to finish the exams? I don't want to give up and I want to start everything all over again. Please help me. I want some good guidance. Working as a doctor was what I always wanted in life. I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

symphony wrote:
... People say I don't have chance. But why? I don't understand. Is score everything to judge me?...

It looks like you've never played Musical Chairs. No problem. This video illustrates you how http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_mb_c8su7k

Take a look at the statistics for matching for example in Internal Medicine: There are 10 times more applicants than positions (I believe 20,000 applicants for 2,000 positions). At the end of the matching process, somebody is bound to get disappointed.

In fact, if you look a bit deeper market is the essence of American supremacy. The survival of the fittest, the ones who push the envelop harder.

Now if you look even deeper, you'll see that there are 100 times more patients needing those doctors who didn't get residency education (45 miilion Americans don't have access to the health system).

You might ask why?

Because there's a barrier called The System. A system that keeps away doctors from patients while money siphons to private institutions. 

Regarding your question about scores, take a look at this post http://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/111541/

xenopus wrote:
Now if you look even deeper, you'll see that there are 100 times more patients needing those doctors who didn't get residency education (45 miilion Americans don't have access to the health system).

You might ask why?

Because there's a barrier called The System. A system that keeps away doctors from patients while money siphons to private institutions. 

Regarding your question about scores, take a look at this post http://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/111541/

Xenopus, you are back on the way of misleading people without actually answering the question. 45M of people do not have access to HS because they do not have money or don't want to pay for HS. Why this is so is a matter of discussion, but not here...
If you personally want to render free medical services, GO BACK TO YOUR HOME COUNTRY where system is perfect, where you will have your right to blame it for your failures...

symphony wrote:
help wanted

Some 1-2 months US observership/ externship experiences, but a lot of gap between them. I can't go back to my country. I couldn't apply 2 previous years because of lack of money and low self esteem due to failure in Step 3. I can't apply for SOAP because I didn't apply last year. Do you think its worth trying for residency this coming September? People say I don't have chance. But why? I don't understand. Is score everything to judge me? Won't people see how persistent I was to finish the exams? I don't want to give up and I want to start everything all over again. Please help me. I want some good guidance. Working as a doctor was what I always wanted in life. I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

You have a very very slim chance, and I am exaggerating it. Unfortunately, the competition is horrendous, and unless you have some strings to pull up, don't waste the money...
You may be the most beautiful person and sweetest colleague (I am sure you are), but these are not characteristics to self-check on your common application form. Think of yourself as a shopper: you are not shoveling bulk apples into your bag but pick the (here you name it) reddest, biggest, roundest, etc, even thought some of those are not sweet. If you see blemish, you won't get it in the bag. This same principle you apply to buying clothes: you won't get a shirt without one button or torn pocket, or with one sleeve being longer than the other... You pick rather the best or the overage-normal... Unfortunately, you do not fit either the best or the average... At times when the market is over-saturated with young grads not needing visa and proudly displaying 99x3, you should be at least realistic...
I would really advise you to invest into plan B...

Justice wrote:
Xenopus, you are back on the way of misleading people without actually answering the question. 45M of people do not have access to HS because they do not have money or don't want to pay for HS. Why this is so is a matter of discussion, but not here...

If you personally want to render free medical services, GO BACK TO YOUR HOME COUNTRY where system is perfect, where you will have your right to blame it for your failures...

I think I like to argue with Justice. The reason being is that Justice represents the quintessential nobody, the average guy who never understands politics or anything related to how resources are distributed in an ecosystem. And I'm not talking about only humans; I'm talking about communities of individuals either ants, bees, fish, or anything. Basically it's important to understand how energy flows in this planet, how resources flow in a society. Having said that, I had hoped that after so many encounters with Justice he would finally get it. But he hasn't. :-(

I encounter people like Justice everyday. Yes. I do. This is my bread & butter. I don’t blame you Justice. You belong to an underclass of individuals which Karl Marx used to refer to as the ‘lumpenproletariat’. Marx referred to such individuals in our society to those who don’t have awareness of their class, ‘apolitical’ as they would call themselves while smiling stupidly and holding a glass of a fancy cocktail in some frivolous party. These people never had conscience of their own class, not even of their own profession. You would think Justice being a doctor would hold the principles of physicians, of a fair access to his services paid by all members of society. No. Justice is in favor of purchasing insurance, possibly to the point of defending the same private health insurance companies that routinely deny his services to his patients. Justice sides with the same companies that will tell him ‘you can’t prescribe this drug’, ‘you can’t order this test’.

And so, Justices shortsightedness being so grave we can call it blindness. Because Justice’s inability to side with his own colleagues makes him perfectly fit the definition of ‘lumpenproletariat’. Individuals who never fought or will never fight to improve their lives as a movement. Of course I’m not talking about Justice’s INDIVIDUAL struggles because everybody has individual struggles. I’m talking about CLASS struggles, movement struggles. Justice’s ignorance of the same health care system in which he currently works is so blatant that he doesn’t even realize that strengthening private insurance companies is going to enslave him in a few years. He doesn’t see it, at least not yet. But he’ll see it. Eventually.

Karl Marx reserved the term ‘lumpenproletariat’ for assassins, prostitutes, thieves, beggars, and in general the most despicable beings in our society. He did so because he observed that such individuals were so deprived of their awareness that they never focused their efforts toward their oppressors in search of a better life. Such is the case of Justice. To distinguish the lumpenproletariat’s blindness, Marx used the term ‘proletariat’ to refer to those hard working individuals who while enjoying a better life than the lumpen, they were aware of their oppressors, they realized at the threat of powerful capitalistic bosses who took a great deal of their labor and for these reasons the proletariat fought for it. They organized, did strikes, demonstrated, they would demand a better work place, they would improve their wages and so everybody else’s including those of non-unionized workers, they would fight for women rights, for equal pay, for vacation time, for dignity at the work place, they would fight for health care.  They fought for their humanity being taken away by bosses through smaller wages, longer hours and reduced benefits. However, Justice who should side on the provider’s side, who should fight along side with doctors, he sides with the oppressor’s side. He’s more than lumpen. He’s a traitor. Possibly he might prefer to be the King’s doctor, the one would give the King a fellatio, or laugh at his stupid jokes.

NOTE: Everywhere else I give enough tips to understand the role of doctors in our healthcare system. I refer you to those posts and other of thousands of good material available in the internet. And that story of me returning to my own country is the typical reply of somebody who still doesn’t understand that capitalism threats are global. Capitalism and its discontents don’t belong to any particular small piece of land. They became the rule of the land. And so the lumpen, the worst like Justice, vibrates to its diabolical tune.

Xenopus,
even though I have a rule to ignore dirty loosers who like associating themselves with various ecosystems and privileged communities because they think they simply have inborn rights to belong to those, I am telling you: you crossed the line... Stay where you are, keep whining, put ashes on your face, pull your hair, stretch your mouth and butt whole, etc, but the truth is simple: you had to work hard in order to get what you are whining about now... You did not... Nobody cares whether that was result of your poor judgement, or low IQ, or simply bad luck (you personally would highlight this, right?). Now you look for satisfaction in ideology that OKs taking stones and knives to get by rude force privileges that you will not fit in even if were allowed to. I am fine with this, but please stop misleading people with your delusions... And, frankly speaking, God bless America for restricting folks like you from entering re-training...

Justice wrote:
Xenopus,
even though I have a rule to ignore dirty loosers who like associating themselves with various ecosystems and privileged communities because they think they simply have inborn rights to belong to those, I am telling you: you crossed the line... Stay where you are, keep whining, put ashes on your face, pull your hair, stretch your mouth and butt whole, etc, but the truth is simple: you had to work hard in order to get what you are whining about now... You did not... Nobody cares whether that was result of your poor judgement, or low IQ, or simply bad luck (you personally would highlight this, right?). Now you look for satisfaction in ideology that OKs taking stones and knives to get by rude force privileges that you will not fit in even if were allowed to. I am fine with this, but please stop misleading people with your delusions... And, frankly speaking, God bless America for restricting folks like you from entering re-training...

I don't know Justice why you consider me a looser. As an individual I haven't lost anything. My main drawback for this competition is because I'm an older applicant. That's all. I took my decision to apply this late in my life. Currently I still have chances for the SOAP.

Regardless of my personal tribulations, the things I say still hold. Because I'm talking about society, about movements, of masses of people living together, of beings living in ecosystems, of doctors acting individually or more desirably as a movement, of private insurance companies who have succeeded in their fight for monopolizing the healthcare industry, of patients who have or don't have insurance, patients who pay either as subscribers or as taxpayers. Those things still hold. I'm raising awareness about those things. If I succeed in life or fail, those things still remain. Because their existence has nothing to do with me. They are bigger than any single individual. It'll take you years to understand these words. It's a shame that a doctor like you who considers himself successful can be so blind. It's one more burden for me, you are a burden for me. Because of your blindness, now I have to fight for you. Now I have to demonstrate on the streets to defend you. And you unwittingly will fight against me, even if I'm supporting you. It'll take you years to understand these words.

Edited by xenopus on Feb 28, 2012 - 8:56 AM. : typos

In answer to the OPs questions

Symphony, 2003 make you an old graduate you will be almost 10 years out from your graduation. This is a drawback

Your scores are not very impressive, second drawback

Just barely managed to pass, third drawback

good.

you passed in 4 attempts - Fourh drawback

Some 1-2 months US observership/ externship experiences, but a lot of gap between them.

you have USCE but given how poor your core application is - this is not enough to salvage the damage done with the poor scores and attempts

I can't go back to my country. I couldn't apply 2 previous years because of lack of money and low self esteem due to failure in Step 3. I can't apply for SOAP because I didn't apply last year. Do you think its worth trying for residency this coming September?

Is it worth it? What is worth to you? If you can spare the expense and time, there is always a chance that you will land up in a residency. Given your profile, that chance is albeit miniscule. SO you have to decide if it is WORTH your time, effort and emotions.

People say I don't have chance. But why? I don't understand. Is score everything to judge me? Won't people see how persistent I was to finish the exams? I don't want to give up and I want to start everything all over again. Please help me. I want some good guidance. Working as a doctor was what I always wanted in life. I would really appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Now that you know why people say you dont have a chance. Actually read this article: FACTORS IMPORTANT FOR MATCHING to see what is crucial for interviews and match. These are problems you cannot fix, there is one thing you can do to improve your chances, if you make a wonderful impression on faculty/PD/program by way of contacts and personal experience, it may be enough to circumvent your handicaps. Good luck

people i had a question.if we tell them that we hav been doing our clinical rotation for 1 year and then prepared for usmle step1 for 4-6 months,,,is that cool or does it still have negative effect on the cv..

As long as your CV does not mention that you spent x number of months to prepare for the exams, you should be fine. Just preparing for exams is not a good thing to place on CV.

With this reply to Justice, he complained and prep4usmle has banned me.

Thanks Justice. Now I don't feel the need to log in to prep4usmle every hour. You've cured my prep4usmle addiction!!!.
Thanks so much.

To the original poster, after all of this advice, what is your next course of action? Will you apply for the 2013 Match or quit your dream?

xenopus wrote:
With this reply to Justice, he complained and prep4usmle has banned me.

Thanks Justice. Now I don't feel the need to log in to prep4usmle every hour. You've cured my prep4usmle addiction!!!.
Thanks so much.

I did not complain, and I do not know why they banned you. I told you that I never pay close attention to whining loosers... Banning you does not worth my efforts, believe me... But from my point of view, your pessimistic posts blackmailing the system had to be banned a long time ago... You selfishly and immaturely fail to understand that only you should take responsibility for whatever you do... Enjoy... Now you have more time for self-analysis... Hopefully, you will get addicted to this, too...

Justice wrote:

I did not complain, and I do not know why they banned you. I told you that I never pay close attention to whining loosers... Banning you does not worth my efforts, believe me... But from my point of view, your pessimistic posts blackmailing the system had to be banned a long time ago... You selfishly and immaturely fail to understand that only you should take responsibility for whatever you do... Enjoy... Now you have more time for self-analysis... Hopefully, you will get addicted to this, too...

It's possible that a computer glitch is responsible for not being able to access the prep4usmle website from my home. I still have to solve it but I'm not jumping on that. I want to enjoy the focus I'm having by studying without checking the website as often as I did. So possibly Justice was right at something: He might not have complained to the forum administration. Anyway, I gave him the benefit of the doubt already. When I fix it with my ISP (something related to a MAC address conflict between the router & the network adapter), I'll prove whether a configuration issue was related to access any site except prep4usmle.

It's OK if Justice thinks I'm a whining looser (sic) for trying to raise some awareness about the needed changes in our society. I hope Justice with his pompous rightfullness screenname has followed up the news about the challenge brought before the Supreme Court about the unconstitutionality of the ACA -Affordable Care Act- by which the State rules everybody to make business for the insurance companies or else face punishment. It was thanks to many 'whining loosers' and their 'pessimistic [efforts] blackmailing the system' which led to this important issue be brought before such important institution of our justice system. Let's see what happens. Hopefully justice is done by denying the constitutionality of such law even if it might have a few good things attached to it (can it be severed or split?). But one thing is true: because of Justice's stance of defending the insurance companies, if the Supreme Court rules the ACA as constitutional, then justice is not done. However, Justice would be happy.

So Justice's pompous and rightfulness sounding screename is very appropriate to our current events. So let’s paraphrase it using this article title "When War becomes Peace, When the Lie becomes the Truth" (www.globalresearch.ca/index...p?aid=15622&context=va).  

When the Supreme Court verdict comes as the ACA as constitutional, then Justice’s justice will be done. But because we live in a time when war is peace, lies are truth, and fiction becomes truth, and so Justice's justice will be unjust. 

To the OP,

I knew a tutor from PASS program. He told me his stats. Three attempts on step 1, 2 attempts on step 2, pass step 3 on 1st attempt + ECFMG Certified. Applied 4 times and didn't match. Took one year off to do research. Applied for the 5th time and finally with GOD's grace he finally matched in FM- 2011.

So here's the thing: If you have the money and the dedication to succeed... go for it. I've heard of other crazier story too.

Here's another one, ( I know this person personally)

She graduated from the Philippines. Failed step 1 three times. Took CS and passed. Sat out for 2 years. Took Kaplan, PASS Program, and Felcon and didnt pass. All her colleagues from the philippines became attendings, and some became teaching staffs at University programs. She finally passed everything after XXX number of years. Finally, matched into the university program because of hook ups. - 2011

Moral of this story is--> you better know and keep in touch with old colleagues!

Good luck.

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

bbb can u guide me
please guide me regarding LOR
please guide me ..LOR
show Related resources

A Step by Step Guide for OSCE
A Practical Guide to Clinical Medicine
The IMGs Guide for USMLE and Residency

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact