Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Very Old IMG's  

• 100/5

Author255 Posts

Hi everyone, I am a really very old IMG. Passed MBBS 1991. And completed residency 1996. I was practicing in my country for 15 yrs.Then switched to Public Health and am doing my PhD right now in Public Health.However ..........I am not happy and want to get back into clinical.
But I am worried about a number of things, the money /expense involved...The PhD program does not pay very well,so I am spending my savings; the loneliness(I am separated) and my family is not here with me. The time period to be invested in giving MLEs and worst is the fear that .....am I going to land a residency after ALL this trouble , because I will be 50 in 4 yrs.
Please someone tell me , if it is possible for very old IMGs to get residency?
And whether starting to give Step 1 at this stage is a feasible idea?
Thanks

Hi everyone, I am also a old FMG (2003) . I Kind of gave up on medicine thinking I will find something else that won't affect my family and my children's up bringing. Well I am at a point in my life where I am rethinking my decision.
BUT , I am not sure if I stand a chance or not. Since 2003 I tried step 1 twice but was not successfully and I have no clinical experience as well.... after all this will I get in to residency, is it worth risking everything that I have.

Also I don't have a strong support system, including financial support.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

hello transcend and aisha2,

we all know how you feel and i can't personally tell you your chances but do read around these forums and make up your own minds on what to do.i am having doubts but still want to at least give it a try all the way and do all there is possible to do to improve cv and i know time is moving and our enemy plus procrastinating on top of family ,kids and jobs ,its hard but i have to do it somehow,still trying to sit for step 2,on and off studying to be true and i know its not good cos am forgetting stuff,but hoping to sit step 2ck around june/july.

lets keeep going,happy studying everyone 

ok its feburary and am still trying to get on with my step 2 ck ,if anyone has any motivating comments on how to get back with this please help me.and still wishing you all the best and may god blesses us all in this fight.

hello,so here is March 2013 and am still struggling to trying to get back with step 2,am praying to god for motivation and goodluck to all .cheers,hopefully will return next time with some good news.

Hello everybody,

I'm 2001 graduate, looking for motivation. I read something that I'd like to share with everybody:

HOPE = Hold On Pain Ends

Iam an old grad yog2002 . Should I give the steps or not , very confused, somebody help plz.

About me an old IMG 2001 graduate from India. Did MS ortho for 2year 8 months. Argument with professor and left it. Than gave GRE in 15 days got 1500/1600 came to USA for PhD in Cancer Genetics. Took an British American professor instead of Indians. When I came to USA many Indian professors who had done MSc / PhD from India were saying why did you take PhD, will you be able to do it blah, blah blah... My American professor told me to say them just **** off, mind their business and not to call them as sir. That was the positive turning turning point in my life. During PhD I have 11 publications like Molecular cell, Embo, Cover Page Genomics, DNA repair, Cell Cycle and also News and Views on the Molecular cell paper in Nature Genetics and F1000 Biology and Medicine.Than I worked as a post doctoral fellow at Mayo Clinic. Time taken for preparation for USMLE 3 months. USMLE step 1 score 242. Use Uworld as a learning tool look at the explanations of wrong questions and do FA also and if you are an Indian be away from Indian professors. I did not get sleep whole night before exam, try to sleep nicely. Also during my MBBS time I used to believe that USMLE was tough and never tried for it. One day one of my friend called me, who is also an old IMG like me and told me that he gave USMLE 1 and scored 221. That was it, than I started preparing. Also notice that my level of hatred towards Indian professors, the time during my medical school in India was the worst phase in my life.This should motivate u guys to start. nod

Thanks a lot cooldoc I really appreciate that.

Hello,
I am old grad too. I did my ophtho residency back in home country, did several observerships in USA, passed all the steps, ECFMG certified. Finally matched into a fellowship in ophtho in a very well known institution. Convinced my husband to come with me to USA and made him spend 9 months passing the exams, all of them, and apply for residency. He applied and matched in a program. He did a cardiology residency back in home country by the way. Now that I do not have anything to do in 2 months I am so stressed out. Although I am doing a fellowship, clinical, I. feel like my odds of matching in residency are so low. I also would like to get pregnant next year and I am so worried how we are going to survive with my husbands resident salary and if I will go crazy when not working.
I am so sorry to complain a lot, but I am so over whelmed. I also was I believe unable to prove myself in fellowship, I am the only IMG and I feel
so intimidated.

On May 06, 2013 - 10:56 AM, dr2pou77 responded:
oh hello there,you seems to be doing much better then most of us in this forum keep going you are in a much better position then most of us here so that should encourage you,don't give up and all the best to you

Thank you so much for your encouragement, I hope all the best to all of us. I think faith in our vast potential is the key. But it is so hard to defeat our weak self taking continously inside about our wortlessness.
Thank you

I know what you mean, i feel so useless sometimes that i have all this knowledge and skills that are just wasted here while some poor country like mine are dying for such help that i can give,we just need to keep going and pray hard that god will make use of our skills as see fits for the people,goodluck to all who are in the same boat!!!and may god keep blessing us.

Hi everybody!

well i was looking for a forum like this one.My YOG is 2001 and i have given and cleared step1 and 7 yrs have elapsed.Now i am giving step1 again.I felt foolish giving it again at this age but reading this thread has given me hope.Good luck to everybody!

have anybody in this group have compared 2012 and 2013 FA...

is it worth buying 2013 FA...please help. thanks.

very interesting posts! Especially liked "HOPE = Hold On Pain Ends".
It looks like I am the oldest "old IMG"-YOG1995. Like most people here, still want to give it a try, maybe just want to give myself a peace of mind. My step1 exam date fall between Sept and Nov. find this site very encouraging. Good luck to everyone!

hello everybody here have been away for a while,kind of put a hold on my step 2 due to some combination of financial and  personal problems but still want to get back sometimes this year,goodluck to all and lets keep trying and never give up.Please god help us .

When I could! Then why not you too. My yr of grad is 1990. I was an Ophthalmologist in India. I worked and supported my children for 5 years while my husband got qualified and completed his dental school in USA. We joined him once he got a job. I saw to it children settled first before I started my step 1 prep.

It took me 6 months just to read FA which was Greek and Latin specially Biochemistry and Genetics.I took another complete year before I took step 1 and passed. I did the usual recommended material x 3 and UW x 4 ! I did RX too. Forums were my sole mentors.

I took the test in an exasperation to get rid of it than pass, so that I will have alternate definitive path and not feel guilty about not trying. I passed! Just managed to make above 200.

I took a break of 5 months and started preparing for step 2 with Kaplan material and videos,later MTB and FA and UW x 2. Some times I found step 1 easier than step 2 due to judgement differences in treatment. I had to unlearn what I practiced earlier and re learn much-the toughest part! I took atleast 8 to 10 months before I felt confident.

This time I had hope and wanted to pass. But I felt crap coming out of the test,I believe its a common occurance. But I passed. Now on my way to CS. I need live prep I think being away from clinics for 4+ yrs. Trying to get shadowing opportunities.

Its hard but nevertheless hasn't dampened my spirit. I may not be able to get into residency but as some one mentioned it might qualify me to stay in medical or related field than in anything like anthropology.....

Very inspiring guys smiling face

minerva wrote:
Hello,
I am old grad too. I did my ophtho residency back in home country, did several observerships in USA, passed all the steps, ECFMG certified. Finally matched into a fellowship in ophtho in a very well known institution. Convinced my husband to come with me to USA and made him spend 9 months passing the exams, all of them, and apply for residency. He applied and matched in a program. He did a cardiology residency back in home country by the way. Now that I do not have anything to do in 2 months I am so stressed out. Although I am doing a fellowship, clinical, I. feel like my odds of matching in residency are so low. I also would like to get pregnant next year and I am so worried how we are going to survive with my husbands resident salary and if I will go crazy when not working.
I am so sorry to complain a lot, but I am so over whelmed. I also was I believe unable to prove myself in fellowship, I am the only IMG and I feel
so intimidated.

Did you do observerships in Ophthalmology or other specialities. Can I get in touch with you being an Ophthalmologist IMG with you for guidance?

hello to all out there that we share the same boat of being labelled old fmg ,have been away for a while,just had another baby ,unplanned,failed IUD which kind of made me down on prep for the ck,so i just realised that it had been 15 months since my step 1 and then i did some study on and off during this period and then completely stopped when i found out i was pregnant,neeed to get back and please lets keep motivating each other on our journey

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact