Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Very Old IMG's  

• 100/5

Author256 Posts

dwyt wrote:
I graduated in 1996 shocked. I'm done with step 1 and preparing for step 2. I'm in govt job since I graduated, serving in a community health center.
I didn't do any postgraduation after my MBBS.
Sometimes I feel like to quit dreaming about residency in usa because of so old graduation.

Hello dwyt, don't give up you are almost there. if you are or anyone else really determined from bottom of their heart to do whatever it takes then you are going to see the light one day at the end of this long tunnel & you will forget all what you had gone through. I'm a live example of what you all are going through. For me hardest part was step1 that wasted so much time & still ended up with 230. My YOG 1997, step2 ck failed first time passed again with 235, cs pass with high performance, did observership & research & got in to family medicine last year.
There is no one in this world to discourage you if you have guts, time & support from your loved ones. Have faith in yourself & trust God, & you will be there one day.

khangautam wrote:

Hello dwyt, don't give up you are almost there. if you are or anyone else really determined from bottom of their heart to do whatever it takes then you are going to see the light one day at the end of this long tunnel & you will forget all what you had gone through. I'm a live example of what you all are going through. For me hardest part was step1 that wasted so much time & still ended up with 230. My YOG 1997, step2 ck failed first time passed again with 235, cs pass with high performance, did observership & research & got in to family medicine last year.
There is no one in this world to discourage you if you have guts, time & support from your loved ones. Have faith in yourself & trust God, & you will be there one day.

First of all congrats for the sweet success and
thanks for the encouraging and inspirational post.
I was thinking that getting a residency will be almost impossible with my credentials considering the cut throat competition for the limited spots, but ur success story is really inspirational. Have u done any postgraduation from ur home country ?
There r only a few examples in this thread when very old graduates got the residency. There r many old graduates (on this form ) who were preparing with hope and enthusiasm past step 1 and then suddenly stopped posting, I assume that most of them left the race or couldn't get residency and therefore had nothing to write about.
I wish there were more posts telling the success and quit stories.
Thanks again for taking time for giving some hope.

Edited by dwyt on Nov 24, 2014 - 4:27 PM

hi all,
I am now 35 and 2004 grad thinking to prepare for usmle step 1. I wanna know the chances of getting in residency in US as an old IMG.
I heard from a post that usmle will be a shut door for all IMGs in coming years 'cause there will be increased no. of medical students and doctors as US citizens. I prayed that this is a rumour.
Whatever, I am thinking to do usmle my best for my dream.
I am waiting to know the news and encouragement from the seniors.

timho wrote:
hi all,
I am now 35 and 2004 grad thinking to prepare for usmle step 1. I wanna know the chances of getting in residency in US as an old IMG.
I heard from a post that usmle will be a shut door for all IMGs in coming years 'cause there will be increased no. of medical students and doctors as US citizens. I prayed that this is a rumour.
Whatever, I am thinking to do usmle my best for my dream.
I am waiting to know the news and encouragement from the seniors.

The news is true and not a rumor that the number of us medical school graduates will be increasing every year whereas the residency spots will not be increasing, so decreasing the surplus residency spots every year making it harder and harder for IMGs to get a residency.
There was an article about it in JAMA, u may google it and will find the info.

Thanks, dwyt

I graduated on november 2011..i wish to apply for 2017 residency match..as for 2017 residency i would have to submit all my documents by september 2016.. So would i be considered an old IMG for 2017 residency or i would be considered less than 5 yrs old graduate and thus not an old IMG?

minerva wrote:
Hello,
I am old grad too. I did my ophtho residency back in home country, did several observerships in USA, passed all the steps, ECFMG certified. Finally matched into a fellowship in ophtho in a very well known institution. Convinced my husband to come with me to USA and made him spend 9 months passing the exams, all of them, and apply for residency. He applied and matched in a program. He did a cardiology residency back in home country by the way. Now that I do not have anything to do in 2 months I am so stressed out. Although I am doing a fellowship, clinical, I. feel like my odds of matching in residency are so low. I also would like to get pregnant next year and I am so worried how we are going to survive with my husbands resident salary and if I will go crazy when not working.
I am so sorry to complain a lot, but I am so over whelmed. I also was I believe unable to prove myself in fellowship, I am the only IMG and I feel
so intimidated.

Hi, I was wondering what programs are friendly towards IMGs wanting to match into a clinical fellowship.

Hello to all doctors out there that are still not recognized here just because of some piece of paper,have been away fro a long time now was just so busy with kids now want to continue with starting again with prep for step 2,will be hard cos I stopped for almost 3 years now since step 1,but want to try and complete the steps before the 7 years is up since my step 1 ,or has the timeframe changed?pls let me know and good luck to all of u out there

Hello to all doctors out there that are still not recognized here just because of some piece of paper,have been away fro a long time now was just so busy with kids now want to continue with starting again with prep for step 2,will be hard cos I stopped for almost 3 years now since step 1,but want to try and complete the steps before the 7 years is up since my step 1 ,or has the timeframe changed?pls let me know and good luck to all of u out there

Hello everyone
YOG 2008... Just starting my preparation for USMLE. I have done MD PATHOLOGY IN INDIA AND AM CURRENTLY WORKING IN INDIA ITSELF. I am working 10 hours a day. So not much time to spare. Just had a few questions for the old IMGs:

- Where do i start studying from?
- What are the approximate scores required to get into a pathology residency in any top med schools?
- Do they consider IMGs for pathology residency? I heard pathology is very competitive and it is usually given to US doctors. Is that true?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thank you

There are several opportunities for older IMG's at Essen Medical Associates, PC. We offer clinical clerkships to IMGs who are seeking experience and other opportunities.
Check out the website: EHCINTERN.ORG

Hi everyone, i am very old IMG, i am 53 y old and dont think that I am old for progressing my carrer. I am living in Croatia and please everyone who can donate me all books to prepare USMLE 1. I will pay for delivery. As I wrote some books of Lippincot before 15 y I please you kindly to send me of Lippincot. Thanks in advance.

Hello doctors. I'm an old IMG as well, failed step 1 twice, step 2ck twice, and step 2cs once. I just sat through my 3rd step 1 attempt and it sucked.
This journey is quite depressing. I feel like I've let myself and my family down.
I feel like these exams sucks the life out of me.
Success stories form really old IMGs would be refreshing.

Hi anyone applied for residency this year

Need a tutor? A trained medical professor?
I am a FMG, a medical professor trained by Harvard Medical International; Understanding the individual study techniques, Teaching techniques associated with the different styles of learning, Problem Based Learning, and Relating complex subjects in a simpler way. I was also a trained mentor for medical students to help overcome the anxiety and distractions (time management).

If your interest in any particular subject of a full schedule my services are available.
1 on 1 Skype tutoring and emotional support to overcome any barrier that's impeding you to achieve your full potential.

For more information: laiabaezmd@gmail.com

I speak fluently English and Spanish
I also have knowledge of French and Italian

Hello, "old" people out theresmiling face I'm from Ukraine. My YOG is 2009.
My story briefly. Came into USA in 2009, right after graduation, so no residency at all.
Started working as ultrasound technician and still at this position. I've began my prep for USMLE Step 1 about 2 months ago. On average I work 6-8 hours a day, and we have a 3 yeras old boy, so it's not a perfect situation for preparation, but it is still possinble for me to spend at least 2 hours a day, plus between 6 and 8 hours on Saturday and Sunday.
The good thing is I'm within clinical enviroment every day. Bad thing, I should have started earlier. But, I was kind of satisfied with my job and delayed that process.
What I'm confident in, though, I will regret if I will not give it a try. That's what I'm afraid of. Not failing an exam or residency match, but failing to try, because of home, family, kids bla, bla, ....Those are not obstacles. of course, no one can guarantee entrance into residency, but time we spend for preparation is not wasted one. Reasons:
1) you will learn something new
2) memorization improvement
3) you'll become more organized with better time management
4) you will meet new people and so on.

Move on. Don't stop. Good luck to us!!!

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

OLD IMG
IMG HELP!!!
IMG HELP!!!
show Related resources