Obecalp: 264/99  

• 86.6/5

Author28 Posts

Arrrrr…!

Step2 CK score: 264/99
- High performance in all subjects.

Exam date: September 26th
Score date: October 19th

I think my score prove that taking step 1 and step 2ck in rapid succession is very HY; Basically, because I took step1 in July, 50% of my 2ck prep was already done, I just needed to get my head around the type of questions asked on step2ck + learn the subjects I’m yet to cover in med school (see below).
Also note that while step2ck is not easier than step1, it must be scored differently, b/c I felt way more terrible coming out of this exam than step1. Also, the average on 2ck is 233 ☺

Step1 score: 269/99. http://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/108869/

About me: Scandinavian FMG, graduate med school in June 2012. I’m yet to take: derm+ear/nose/throat+eyes+family meds+peds+ob/gyn+acute medicine (all in last year). So basically I gambled a bit, but when I saw my NBME scores were good, I decided to schedule my exam despite not having seen a lot of the material tested IRL. Besides, the exam is like 80% IM.

Materials used*:

1) First Aid 2CK 7th edition (only study source except for first two weeks)
2) MTB2CK (just once, very quickly)
3) Kaplan LN ob/gyn (just once)
4) USMLERx
5) Kaplan Qbank
6) USMLEWORLD

Study time: Roughly 9 weeks. Moved to San Diego in mid-august (just for a couple of months) and so had two-three weeks with only part time studying as I was searching for an apartment (and found one in downtown SD grin). So actual study time was more like 7-8 weeks.

Outline of study plan:

A) Week 1-3: One read of MTB2ck and Kaplan LN ob/gyn. Finished USMLERx.
B) Week 4-5: First read of FA and completed Kaplan Qbank.
C) Week 6-9: Read FA x2 and completed UW x2.

Q-bank experience: Would do between 3-6 blocks/day. EVERYDAY. As with step1, Q-banks rank: UW>Kaplan>Rx. UW is more updated (only qbank with new Q format and contents most like real exam) and more fun than the rest.

Q-bank scores (in order from first to last):

1) USMLERx: 79%
2) Kaplan: 70%
3) UW: 80%
4) UW (second time around): 91%

Self-assessment scores:

1) NBME 1: 253/600 (4 weeks out)
2) NBME 4: 246/600 (4 weeks out)
3) UWSA: 268/800 (2 days out)

Exam experience: As I said, UW was close to the exam in terms of subjects tested and question format (and new Q-types were easier than in UW). However, compared to step1 exam, I had A LOT of Q’s where I could only narrow it down to 2 answer choices. If I had to guess, I would say around ¼ of the Q’s. Way more than step1, so I prayed to His Noodliness ��" peace be upon Him ��" that I’ll get at least >240. Luckily, He listened. In case you're wondering what type of questions I’m talking about, picture the type of Q where a patient comes in for treatment for condition X and you're asked which treatment the patient should also receive based on the scenario (e.g. gender, age, risk factors, family history etc) etc etc. A lot of the time I just didn’t know. So I asked my gut for advice…

Which books to choose:

* I started out doing DIT2CK w/ Step-Up2CK, but I abandoned this course early on (along with my 800 bucks), b/c Step-Up is a terrible book, and DIT2CK sucks compared to DIT for step 1.

Q: Is it true that FA is not the gold standard for step2 prep?
A: NO, NO, NO, NO!! I was led to believe this because of all the negative comments about FA. If you have a minimum of clinical knowledge, FA is the only book that offers enough information if you want to study just ONE book for step2. You just need Q-banks of course - and remember to annotate FA as you go along.
Only reason why I read ob/gyn (LN) ONCE and skimmed through MTB2CK, was the fact that Stuff like ob/gyn, peds, family meds etc. etc. is Fall and Spring semester curriculum.
FA is enough. Period.

Edited by Obecalp on Nov 13, 2011 - 1:26 AM

let me say congrats for your score

and you shouldnt be feeling bad because you got a lower score at your step 2 regarding that you prepared while you still havent finished those subjects and you was in a rush too to get step 2 finished

so you should be really proud of what you achieved

congrats for your great score on step 2 and congrats for your score on step 1

good luck with your step 2 cs and dont forget to do a clerckship

some question

did you find MTB2 a useful source?

did you compare it to MTB3 as i heared it is a good book too that can be used with both step 2 and 3

On Oct 19, 2011 - 7:41 AM, Obecalp responded:
Thank you so much.

MTB: At first I did find MTB2CK useful, but as my studying progressed I realized that all the crucial points the author explains so well and which is not found in FA and other books, is found in Q-banks. As such, I do not think having read MTB once helped me at all. If anything it was my first encounter with some points that I would later reinforce over and over again as I studied the Q-banks.

Have not read MTB3.

Good luck, mate.

Yey, I'm so happy for you! I couldn't wait for you to post your score. You are awesome!
I've been going kinna slow with my prep for step 2, but stories like yours give me hope and new energy. You are a true inspiration.

On Oct 19, 2011 - 9:28 AM, Obecalp responded:
Thanks! smiling face

Personally, I like to shorten the agony of prepping for the steps by cramming as much as possible for a short period of time, so try to cram now and relax later. And my personal mantra: Q's, Q's, Q's!

GL

Warning! Warning! Aliens are ALREADY among us!

Congratulations!

Your friend,

Earthlingsmiling face

On Oct 19, 2011 - 9:44 AM, Obecalp responded:
Thanks! And long time no see. smiling face

You said you would write me when you got your step 1 score...? Bet It went great grin

Still studyingrolling eyes

tired and getting older and older....but still studying. Nothing can beat the determined mindgrin

On Oct 19, 2011 - 12:01 PM, Obecalp responded:
Ah, ok. Well, I hope you'll get a great score. If anyone, you deserve it!

Congrats! Obecalp!!
Your post is so helpful as usual.
Thank you very muchsmiling face
OK, I'm stuck with FAgrin

Where did you get FA 8th edition? It looked to me like it's not out yet.

On Oct 19, 2011 - 9:23 PM, Obecalp responded:
True dat. It's the 7th ed. smiling face

Balailomax:

Your Q about FA is really hard to answer. Personally, I like to cram a small book; that way I can keep a "mental image" of the entire book in my mind, so when e.g. jaundice pops up on the exam, I can refer to the correct page in my mind wink That's why I kept cramming FA. But that may not work for you.

Hindsight:
1) I scored lowest in preventive and health medicine, e.g. which vaccine for 3 y/o pt seen in clinic, which disease is reportable, which screening should this pt also have in this scenario etc. Plus, I knew I was somewhat weak in that area, but out of boredom I refrained from studying it too much. Lesson learned.

2) You really need to now ALL the relevant diagnoses and treatments for ALL the diseases, and more importantly you need to be able to be able to weigh them against each other. Lesson: Don't just accept that Tx X is the first choice for disease Y, know WHY. And know the exceptions etc.

Obecalp wrote:
Balailomax:

Your Q about FA is really hard to answer. Personally, I like to cram a small book; that way I can keep a "mental image" of the entire book in my mind, so when e.g. jaundice pops up on the exam, I can refer to the correct page in my mind wink That's why I kept cramming FA. But that may not work for you.

Hindsight:
1) I scored lowest in preventive and health medicine, e.g. which vaccine for 3 y/o pt seen in clinic, which disease is reportable, which screening should this pt also have in this scenario etc. Plus, I knew I was somewhat weak in that area, but out of boredom I refrained from studying it too much. Lesson learned.

2) You really need to now ALL the relevant diagnoses and treatments for ALL the diseases, and more importantly you need to be able to be able to weigh them against each other. Lesson: Don't just accept that Tx X is the first choice for disease Y, know WHY. And know the exceptions etc.

Thanks a lot, buddy. Will keep these things in mind wink

Congrats! as expected! : )

On Oct 25, 2011 - 9:41 AM, Obecalp responded:
TY. Good luck in the match!

Well done!

I definitely second using Q's primarily.

On Oct 25, 2011 - 9:42 AM, Obecalp responded:
TY!

I'm looking for a skype partner for CS prep. My exam is January 12th in Philly.

See: http://www.prep4usmle.com/forum/thread/110355/

congrats

congrats! great score
can u please explain, how u managed to do 3-6 blocks a day along with theory[books]
how long did u take to do explanations of questions?
please reply
thanks !
good luck

On Dec 06, 2011 - 10:01 AM, Obecalp responded:
Well, there is no magic, to conserve time set an hourly study goal, e.g. 10 pages by 9AM, 10 more by 10AM, or 1 block+review by 10 AM, 1 more by 12AM... And magic happens - you get the work done... smiling face

Good luck

Good luck Obe for CS! Smile enough and be very very polite (more than physicians in Europewink)

I am done with all three steps nod

And please put warning in your advices (like "don't try this at home etc.), not everyone can do it like you! First time USMLE Rx Q bank and 79%? I would immediately go for an exam! 

GL!

On Dec 06, 2011 - 2:13 PM, Obecalp responded:
Hey you!

Woaaaahhh, done with all three steps? Are you kidding me?! Congrats! :-) So, I´m guessing you are doing interviews for 2012 Match?

I´ve started prepping CS 3 hours every Saturday and Sunday, because I´m bogged down studying for my finals, but I should be ready to take my exam on January 12th as scheduled. Do you have any advice for me? 

@Obe,

They don't test medial knowledge that much on CS exam, they test how you behave with patients. You need to shake hands, smile, show concern, wash your hands before touching them...show again some more concern, empathy etc. say "I am sorry to hear that"...etc.etc...Good luck!

On Dec 08, 2011 - 3:29 AM, Obecalp responded:
Good to know smiling face

Got this Q via PM: If you feel that the material covered in the Q-banks is present in MTB, why not use it? Isn't that better?

I am planning to use kaplan LN and a review book (uncertain between FA and MTB2ck or 3).

Thanks a lot in advance

A: Howdy! smiling face

To answer your Q:

FA covers the basics of any step. Q-banks will be your most HY study source; by repetition they reinforce what you already know + they underscore the most HY information, and teach you the tricks of the exam. MTB is weak on the basics, it mainly teaches you to understand the exam questions. But since everything in MTB is already covered in FA and Q-banks, why waste time studying yet another source?

Regarding Kaplan for step 2/3. Few American grads turn to Kaplan for study materials. FA + Q-banks is enough provided you have some basic knowledge. And really, you want to spend your time doing Q´s above all else.

Edited by Obecalp on Dec 17, 2011 - 7:02 AM

Hi Obecalp,

I have a question, is it normal to make silly mistakes in the real exam ? I personally think its normal, what do you think? I was scoring very good in UW sometimes in 80s sometimes in 70s. But my average was 77. Exam felt very easy but since the exam has ended , I have been thinking about my silly mistakes, uptill now I have calculated about 5 to 7 silly mistakes. What do you say ? 

On Jan 15, 2012 - 2:00 PM, Obecalp responded:
With 8 blocks of 44 Q's, CK is a marathon. You're bound to make silly mistakes - and 5-7 doesn't sound like a lot, I prolly made a lot more.

Hi can u plz suggest.. it makes me almost a day to finish one and a half block of kapln on line q bank hw can i speed up..Plz reply..

On Feb 02, 2012 - 1:19 PM, Obecalp responded:
Sorry, but I couldn't possibly know that. I did 6-8 blocks/day - mostly timed tutor, which is faster than random timed.

hey.. did you listen to kaplan dvds? are they any good.. since im starting studying one year after step 1..

and from do i buy kaplan Q bank.. is it online or is it a book?

Isnt UW enough?
How many readings of kaplan notes do you recommend.. is one reading enough with lots of practice from uw? plus mtb and FA..

On Feb 02, 2012 - 10:21 PM, Obecalp responded:
Check first post, it's all there - promise smiling face

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Obecalp: 269/99
Obecalp's journal
264/99
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact