Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Failed step 1 third time  

• 100/5

Author8 Posts

I am an old IMG and tried very hard but failed 3rd time in USMLE 1, I want to know what are the chances of getting residency if I get cleared in 4th attempt. Please advise your experience and opinion.

hello,
nobody can tell chances , people here can say "low" chances , or some trying to cheer you up , will tell you " dont worry ,study and take it again ",
here is my opinion/comments

1. when you took the exam for 1st time , did u take a self assessment forms to see if u was ready ???,if u did and the NBME predicted low score or not passing ,why u took the exam knowing the potential risk??

2. then u failed the 2nd time ..ok , did u take all the NBME ????? , before sitting for the 3rd time ????

3.yes im asking this bc this is serious , many attempts (fails ) look really bad on your application , this is a competition ,the better scores/LORs/experience, the better chances to get a position .

4. now the u failed 3 times , here is your option :
> re structure your study plan/methods ,because your previous plan didnt worked.
> dont , dont ,dont ,pay/schedule the 4th attempt ,..until NBME tells you that you have at least 240 , only then pay and take it .if not dont take it ..
> memorize FA/UW notes ,if possible take a second round of UW.

p,s , im not trying to be rude , just realistic and to the point .

whats the yesr of graduation?if i may ask

To be frank, with 3 failed attempts, I don't think you stand a chance. I'm sorry to say so, but that's my honest opinion (and you guys: don't flame me for being honest!).

Obelcap may be trying to be honest and yes its going to be more difficult.But keep in mind he is just trying to eliminate one more candidate he will have to compete with ,in trying to get residency.If u put ur mind to it,work hard & pray you can do anything.It may take you a days or years but you will get there.Just remember once u r done with residency and working,no body is gonna care how many attempts u've had in USMLE.All people care about is r u good and dedicated at what u do.The truth hurts,but it is up to you how u handle it.

Anything is possible. Its difficult but not impossible. I can understand it must be really hard for you. I have seen people doing residency with one atttempt. So if they can be given preference over someone with no attempts, your case might be considered as well if you try to improve your resume strongly. But now its not just clearing USMLE for you, you have to make your CV strong by getting USCE, impressing the attendings, research and that kind of stuff. Try to make great contacts . And keep working hard. If you have already given so much time to this exam, why not spend some more, but this time live USMLE, don't just study. Coz this time it is NOW or NEVER.

@m.khan. i feel your frustration, i'm on the same boat (maybe worse). it's difficult to move on when you've failed so many times. it'd be nice to hear from old grads who've failed but triumphed in the end. how far the end is is the question. but, anyway, we'll keep reaching for that goal right?!

muhammad.khan don't worry try again Faruk30 guides you in better way .

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

is third time the charm
The Third Ukraine Med Grad
third revision.
show Related resources

Kaplan USMLE Step 1 Web Prep
USMLEWorld Step 2 CS Course
USMLEWorld Step 1 Qbank

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact