Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Obecalp: 269/99  

• 87.2/5

Author89 Posts

You did it! You have redefined the whole "preparing for usmle" thing. Congrats, obecalp!. I'll be going for it in december. I've finished kaplan qbank and am doing uworld. Now tell me, should i still read the entire first aid or just some sections? I have read MTB once and all subjects except IM from first aid once in the beginning of my prep. But it was a very quick read so not much has been retained. And any other quick advice you'd like to give with the power of hindsight? wink

On Oct 19, 2011 - 11:34 PM, Obecalp responded:
Answered in step2ck thread. Like to keep this thread for step 1 advice.

Congrats Obecalp,

Wish you the best for the future smiling face

On Oct 25, 2011 - 3:27 AM, Obecalp responded:
And to you as well!

Great Step2 score , Obecalp!) You did it)
and thanks for posting your experience
*directly following your pathsmiling face

congrats Obecalpgrin, u r my inspiration nownod, i'll keep u in mind while preparing for step 1.
my question is - is it imp 2 hav gud grades in ur med school exms to get gud scores? i'm an avg student & it's very difficult for me to prepare as i read these subject 2 & 1/2 yrs ago & i have to refer to std txtbuks while reading. what is ur opinion?

On Jan 02, 2012 - 10:33 AM, Obecalp responded:
Short answer: No.

Just to compare: I´m a 6th yr med student, step 1 subjects were 4-5 yrs away when I took the exam.

hey obecalp

i have a question for you

i did kaplan ln once -watched videos and studied alltogether except for path-goljan and micro-MMRS

got like 3 months for the exam

is it wise to do kaplan once more at least cram it before going into FA-UW

or should i go through UW-FA combination and back to kaplan for weak points

or no need for kaplan anymore and it is just FA-UW for the next 2-3 months?

something else

i feel overloaded
my last year medical school and it is already tough, USMLE exam coming near,things need to be finished and revised thoroughly,your opinion about what to dogrin

thanks for your help

On Jan 16, 2012 - 9:57 AM, Obecalp responded:
Well, there is no "truth" to step 1 prep, but if you read my first post, you'll see why I think doing LN more than once is LY.

Oh, and with 3 mo's to go, you could easily do UW x2 + Rx + Kaplan... Along with multiple revisions of FA....

Hey obecalp ! You scores are really awesome. Congratulations to you !!

I am 2 months away from my exam. Done with 2 reads of kaplan. What do you recommend for these 2 months-- should I do FA and UW only again and again or read kaplan as well. Thanks .

On Feb 02, 2012 - 10:44 AM, Obecalp responded:
I've said many times that doing Kaplan more than once is LY - but that's just my opinion smiling face

Congratulations on both ur step 1 and step 2!!!!! Thanx so much for sharing ur experiencesmiling face. I needed some advice, i have less than 3 months of study time. I had never completed the kaplan lectures and will be doing them soon. I just ordered the new kaplan 2012 books because earlier i was using someone else's Kaplan books which were 2006. I just wanted to know when u were going through the kaplan lectures did u write down lots of notes in ur book? How long did it take u to complete all the kaplan lectures for all the subjects? I want to quickly go through the lectures because i want to spend more time on the more high yield things, as u said the kaplan lectures are low yield. Please tell me how i should go about my studying. I have 8-9 hrs of study time daily for 3 months excluding sundays. I can try to increase my study time if i can get the kids to sleep early. Would love to get advice from usmiling face.

On Feb 22, 2012 - 2:00 PM, Obecalp responded:
Actually, I only read ob/gyn (see the first post!)  b/c I was yet to cover that subject in med school when I took the exam. I you're out of med school, just do FA and Qbanks. As for how long it takes to cover LN, I really can't say as I haven't read them.

Thanx for the advice. I wish i were asking u about step 2 but unfortunately i'm still stuck in step 1. I wanted to know if it is really important to go through all the videos and kaplan books at least once if i have less than 3 months left for the exam. I have 8hrs per day study time. Wanted ur advice on how i should go about studying. I really loved reading bout ur experience. Hope u get into the residency of ur choice as soon as possiblesmiling face

On Feb 24, 2012 - 4:21 AM, Obecalp responded:
Difficult to say. For the last 1-2 mo, I would do only qbanks and FA. You might consider studying the "tougher" subjects from LN+vids (e.g. pharm, physio, and selected topics from the other subjects) and just read the subjects that require mere rote memorization (e.g. path, anatomy).

Oh, just realized this, i read post #68 as a CK q, and #69 as a step 1 q grin

Just remember this: If you have little time, maximize your score by doing ONLY what is HY (e.g. FA and q-banks), and if you have more time, you can afford to dwell on the minutiae to further boost your score.

Thanx Obecalp. Ur my inspirationsmiling face.

hi obecalp

your scores are  amazing .good jobsmiling face you are truly inspiring.

i have a question.i'm just beginning to start off with a qbank..what would you suggest  to do first..kaplan or uworld?i was planning to start any qbank subject wise first and later do the other one in mixed timed mode.please guide.

thank you so much.

On Feb 29, 2012 - 6:12 AM, Obecalp responded:
Don't know. However, UW should be completed right before the exam.

Obecalp i need some further advise, i was doing first aid and some questions like u had said but i've been feeling really insecure about the exam so i wanted to finish up my kaplan books real quick so that it'll help me remember stuff better on the exam. I know i won't have time to do them alll because the latest i can give my exam is by the last week of May or the first week of June. Can u please advise which subjects i should do thouroughly in kaplan and for which subjects i can solely rely on first aid to score well on the exam. I've started with patho.

On Mar 22, 2012 - 5:35 AM, Obecalp responded:
Can't really answer your Q in detail b/c that would require in-depth knowledge of your strengths and weaknesses. However, what I can tell you is that FA = most frequently tested information, so you should focus on your weakest points whether it be path, pharm or anat...

hey dear old friend,

I have matched smiling face)

Hope you are well and preparing for neurosurgery residency smiling face))

On Mar 22, 2012 - 1:36 PM, Obecalp responded:
Awesome! Congrats!! I'm happy for you! smiling face

In what - and where? smiling face

Without greencard (so far, at least), I think it's going to be tough for me to match next year...

hi Obecalp Congratulations
I haven't started the preparation yet but I wanna do it after graduation (in 4 months)
I've read all your posts and wanna thank you for your help
but I have some questions to you
1.Are Kaplan LN enough as basic sourse? (suppose I don't know anything)
2.what is DIT and how make use of it?
3.could you give me links for USMLERx, UW, Kaplan Q-bank, CBSSA's?
4. I don't understand phrase"flip out". Can you explain please?

On Mar 24, 2012 - 1:07 PM, Obecalp responded:
I don't have links. I paid for all of it.

but you've said, "I've never done any Q's offline, just online."

On Mar 25, 2012 - 12:13 PM, Obecalp responded:
Sure thing! Just Google it :-)

thank you but i don't understand you did online or paid for them? and I have another question what is DIT ?

i m glad some1 has kept placebo occupied 

dear obecalp, thanks so much for sharing your experience and taking the time also to come back to the thread to answer questions from us. i'd like to congratulate you 1st and foremost, and wish u well in your journey to Matching in a Categorical Residency position.

i am more/less following your study plan, i am a FMG 1 year out of med school, similar to some above, i studied enough to pass.. but now i want to redeem myself with a good score (aim: 250) my exam is in late Aug 2012. so i have about 4 more months, im already done with Kaplan LN + video for Anatomy & Biochem. need to speed up a finish up the rest in the next 6wks or so, then onto Goljan Pathology + audio..

i just wanted to ask you, during your 1st pass of Kaplan LN + video, did u just try to understand the concepts and principles? did u try to start memorising facts? im finishing up biochem, and im already forgetting the enzymes and pathways i just went through a few days ago.. scary to think about what anatomy/histology/embryology i had forgotten

i annotate First Aid as i go along, adding diagrams and figures into FA as i think is necessary, which FA doesnt have... so that in the end it will just be QBank and FA

2ndly, wanted to ask when u were doing the QBANKs, did u allow yourself to refer to FA and find the answers, or did u start trying to do it under "exam conditions"?

thanks in advance!

On May 11, 2012 - 7:39 AM, Obecalp responded:
Hi, there's not much I can say to your Q's - how you study is really subjective/personal, and I've posted my exp merely to inspire others just like I've been inspired by the ppl who took the test before me...

- Memorizing LN -> of course I tried to remember as much as possible, but I didn't stress out if I forgot anything as long as I knew the core principles cold. 

- Q-banks: Exam-like conditions. Would annotate FA - but only afterwards...

Good luck.

PS You need to be certified by September 1st, because the US is closed after this years match. Due to more US grads coming out. Google it...

hi every one i will start study to my step 1 next month
want to ask if FA,UW,and live lect of kaplan enough

thank you all

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Obecalp: 264/99
Uworld score is 80%, 269/99
269/99.. Thank you FORUM
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact