Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

How to approach the match  

• 0/5

Author3 Posts

Hi,
I am an IMG and it has been 9 years since I have graduated. Did post graduation in health sciences from a renowned University. Passed step 1 and 2 ck and cs, scored in 80s and passed on first attempt.
However, it took me three attempts to pass step 3. I have been trying to apply for residency for the last three years and no luck. I have one publication, doing some research and expecting a couple of publications. I have 3 mo of USCE as an observer, no hands on experience. I am interested in Psychiatry.
After years of struggle, I am kind of exhausted, I do not know how to approach this match thing, its exhausting and frustrating.
Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PS, does multiple attempts on step 3 limit my option of even applying to residency programs? For example I wanted to apply in Illinois, Missouri and Georgia. Can I still do that?

From what I could find you should be okay as far as number of attempts are concerned. Illinois allows 5 total attempts and Georgia and Missouri allow 3 per step.

You can view state specific step 3 and other requirements on thsi website. score99.blogspot.com/2011/0...various-state-medical.html

Hope this helps. Good luck. If psych is difficult I would advise trying Family medicine as well this time.

On Jun 28, 2011 - 4:45 AM, lets see responded:
Thank you for your reply, but does 5 attempts and three attempts mean the failed attempts or in total?
Thank you also for the link. I actually became a little worried after looking at the website.
My only three failed attempts are on step 3.
The other concern that I have is most programs have a filter for failure in attempts. Will I be filtered out with step3 failures too. And how should I overcome it.
Any honest advice would be really appreciated. I have been on this road for far too long now.
Thanks

Edited by motorola on Jun 27, 2011 - 7:38 PM

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

How to approach the match
how to approach in CS
approach?
show Related resources

Match a Resident
Residency Match 101 Biggest Mistakes
First Aid for the Match