Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

How to approach the match  

• 0/5

Author3 Posts

Hi,
I am an IMG and it has been 9 years since I have graduated. Did post graduation in health sciences from a renowned University. Passed step 1 and 2 ck and cs, scored in 80s and passed on first attempt.
However, it took me three attempts to pass step 3. I have been trying to apply for residency for the last three years and no luck. I have one publication, doing some research and expecting a couple of publications. I have 3 mo of USCE as an observer, no hands on experience. I am interested in Psychiatry.
After years of struggle, I am kind of exhausted, I do not know how to approach this match thing, its exhausting and frustrating.
Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

PS, does multiple attempts on step 3 limit my option of even applying to residency programs? For example I wanted to apply in Illinois, Missouri and Georgia. Can I still do that?

From what I could find you should be okay as far as number of attempts are concerned. Illinois allows 5 total attempts and Georgia and Missouri allow 3 per step.

You can view state specific step 3 and other requirements on thsi website. score99.blogspot.com/2011/0...various-state-medical.html

Hope this helps. Good luck. If psych is difficult I would advise trying Family medicine as well this time.

On Jun 28, 2011 - 4:45 AM, lets see responded:
Thank you for your reply, but does 5 attempts and three attempts mean the failed attempts or in total?
Thank you also for the link. I actually became a little worried after looking at the website.
My only three failed attempts are on step 3.
The other concern that I have is most programs have a filter for failure in attempts. Will I be filtered out with step3 failures too. And how should I overcome it.
Any honest advice would be really appreciated. I have been on this road for far too long now.
Thanks

Edited by motorola on Jun 27, 2011 - 7:38 PM

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

How to approach the match
right way to approach qns
my approach to get 99
show Related resources

Match a Resident
Residency Match 101 Biggest Mistakes
First Aid for the Match