Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Vast Antimicrobials Database  

• 0/5

Author9 Posts

If you want to find information pertaining to antibiotics and other antimicrobials I think that the best guide is:

The Antimicrobial Index

http://antibiotics.toku-e.com

Most importantly it is regularly updated with thousands of microorganisms. Its packed with antimicrobial susceptibility info in the form of minimum inhibitory concentration data and can be used to discover a vast variety of new antimicrobial agents.

Hope you will also find it useful! smiling face

Hey, thanks for sharing this important reference source. Awesome.

Edited by xenopus on Feb 14, 2011 - 6:15 AM

Please be aware that almost all microbiology labs run their own antibiograms for the bacteria population in their institution. Depending on patient population, antibiotic patterns may differ. If you have a large diabetic/nursing home type population, you will probably see more resistant patterns than you would in a small community hospital where most of the complex patients are turfed to larger institutions.

www.cdc.gov/abcs/reports-fi...ads/antibiogram-method.pdf

Here is a sample antibiogram report. These are available to physicians from the microbiology lab at the hospital in which they practice.

Edited by bactitech on Feb 25, 2011 - 8:21 PM

Hi bactitech, the other day I was looking for a plot of cladograms of bacteria and the susceptibility to antibiotics (leaving behind acquired resistance) but I couldn't find any.

Specifically what I was looking for (or maybe what i had in my mind) was a dendrogram of bacterial species branching off from the main tronchus (say archea vs eubacteria), then eubacteria branching off to its different classes or orders or whatever category and then from every one of these branches, other branches based on biochemical phenotype (say, lactose + or -; catalase +; or rapid vs slow fermenter, etc). What i had in mind was the possibility to plot their natural susceptibility as shaded areas over the cladograms (say for example making a shaded area for metronidazol over all the genus of strict anaerobes). I don't know...maybe I'm dreaming.

I wonder if you cared to comment.

Did anybody noticed that the huge database doesn't have information about treponema pallidum? One of the oldest disease. Maybe it's because everybody already knows that penicillin is the right antibiotic (or doxicyclin for primary or secondary).

Re Treponema pallidum - you can't grow the organism on media so there is no way to do susceptibility testing.

Xenopus - I have never heard of a cladogram or dendrogram, so, unfortunately, I am clueless as to what you are talking about.

http://www.clsi.org/ - CLSI publishes standards on a yearly basis (sometimes more often) as to how we can report out sensitivities and by what methodology. It is the bible of micro as far as susceptibilities go. They determine MIC breakpoints, and what drugs go with what organism. I don't think there are free copies lying around the internet - labs pay big bucks for the newest version every year.

bactitech wrote:
Re Treponema pallidum - you can't grow the organism on media so there is no way to do susceptibility testing.

Xenopus - I have never heard of a cladogram or dendrogram, so, unfortunately, I am clueless as to what you are talking about.

Thanks a lot bactitech, I would have failed a question like this about the susceptibility testing nod. I just wonder if there's an in vivo testing of antibiotics, ultimately this is where the action takes place. - The reason I found this interesting is because the only 2 antibiotics are recommended for the treatment of syphilis are Penicillin G & Doxicyclin. If a pregnant woman is allergic to penicillin she cannot receive doxicyclin (teratogenic) so she needs to undergo desensitization for penicillin. It seems rather paradoxycal that no other antibiotic of the large arsenal already accumulated could hit the treponema pallidum with so many target sites like ribosomes, DNA polymerase, RNA polymerase, cell wall synthetic enzymes, etc. I wonder about this story.

Cladograms, there are several on this page but none on bacteria. just an example comenius.susqu.edu/bi/202/D...DOMAINS/DOMAIN-EUKARYA.htm

Here's another www.pnas.org/content/99/13/.../13/8956/F2.expansion.html

Thanks for the other links. smiling face

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...PMC2812177/?tool=pmcentrez - this article goes into great detail about treatment of syphilis. Penicillin is the first line treatment.

"Because there are no proven alternatives to penicillin for treatment of infected pregnant women, those who are penicillin allergic should be desensitized and then treated with penicillin G benzathine. Despite over 65 years of extensive clinical experience with penicillin, the need to administer this antibiotic parenterally has led to the use of second-line oral antibiotics, including macrolides (e.g., erythromycin and azithromycin) and tetracyclines (e.g., tetracycline and doxycycline), as first-line drugs for treatment of syphilis. This use of alternative antibiotics, which is inconsistent with current CDC guidelines, occurs more frequently outside the United States (76). "

Lots more in the link.

I have no idea about in vivo antibiotic testing. I am in clinical micro - not research.

BTW, it is spelled "doxycycline." sticking out tongue It's kind of important to get the spelling down for your future prescriptions nod

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Vast Antimicrobials Database
can i use mrs for microbi to study antimicrobials
Database failure
show Related resources

Dermatologic Image Database

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact