Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Research Vs Internship? Need your  

• 0/5

Author3 Posts

Hi

I am an IMG doing research in radiology(1.5 year so far). I applied for radiology residency this year. I got reasonable amount of interviews for preliminary or transitional year but not that much for radiology. My chance to get matched in radiology is low and I have to consider next year match.

I have to decide between going to 1 year internship or continue my research? Any comment that what the best approach is? which one increases my chance for radiology?

My status: Graduation 6 yrs ago, usmle 99 both)

Thanks

Hi Delarmy,

there are good arguments for both pathways:

- if you choose to invest the extra year into research, it will substantially improve your CV if you manage to get some publications/ congress presentations out of it (RSNA deadline is march 31, try to submit something if you can); while if you go into internship, you will not have added anything to your application.....

- being too many years out of medschool however can be a minus on your application, so starting PGY1 a year earlier can be a plus in this regard.

however, maybe you should wait until march 17 - if you have received a couple of radiology interviews you sound like a great candidate! you know, you only need one interview to match smiling face

maybe your radiology research adviser/LOR writer would be a good person to discuss this with.

best of luck!

Hi Janka

Thank you.

The advantageous and disadvantageous of both pathway are the reason that i am a bit confused at this point. But I have more tendency to continue research and take a risk!! still not sure and only 2 days have been remained!!

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

internship please help
Internship in us
Help with Internship in USA
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact