Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Research Vs Internship? Need your  

• 0/5

Author3 Posts

Hi

I am an IMG doing research in radiology(1.5 year so far). I applied for radiology residency this year. I got reasonable amount of interviews for preliminary or transitional year but not that much for radiology. My chance to get matched in radiology is low and I have to consider next year match.

I have to decide between going to 1 year internship or continue my research? Any comment that what the best approach is? which one increases my chance for radiology?

My status: Graduation 6 yrs ago, usmle 99 both)

Thanks

Hi Delarmy,

there are good arguments for both pathways:

- if you choose to invest the extra year into research, it will substantially improve your CV if you manage to get some publications/ congress presentations out of it (RSNA deadline is march 31, try to submit something if you can); while if you go into internship, you will not have added anything to your application.....

- being too many years out of medschool however can be a minus on your application, so starting PGY1 a year earlier can be a plus in this regard.

however, maybe you should wait until march 17 - if you have received a couple of radiology interviews you sound like a great candidate! you know, you only need one interview to match smiling face

maybe your radiology research adviser/LOR writer would be a good person to discuss this with.

best of luck!

Hi Janka

Thank you.

The advantageous and disadvantageous of both pathway are the reason that i am a bit confused at this point. But I have more tendency to continue research and take a risk!! still not sure and only 2 days have been remained!!

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Clinical research VS. Lab research
j1 research and research waiver - pls help
please help on internship
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact