Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Ranking programs!  

• 100/5

Author44 Posts

Hi folks,

Could you pls kindly help me with ranking these programs?

1- UCLA-Kern
2- creighton Univ- Nebraska
3- UT-Houston
4- UMDNJ
5- Maimonides
6- Univ of Kansas-Kansas city
7- Rosalind Franklin Univ, Chicago
8- Curtis St-Elizabet
9- Morehouse school of medicine
10- EVMS
11- West Virginia Univ, Charleston

I know that I should consider many factors like the city and stuff like that, but I would greatly appreciate if you help me to rank them just based on the program.

Thanks a Ton smiling face

I think it would help if you rank them according to your personal specification and give reason why you think they should be first in your list, then we might be able to contribute.

Hi hallucination. we hav 2 common IVs. EVMS and UMDNJ
I like both these programs but i never heard from them replying to my emaisl . M set. Did u had any correspondence wid them.

On Feb 08, 2011 - 8:57 PM, hallucination responded:

Hi smiling face No I didn't hear from them either. I didn't like them, specially that Mr. B in UMDNJ, wanted to dictate everything...

I was once interested in psychiatry and did a few readings. Based on that I wonder if any of the questions below could clue you into identifying which program suits you better.

-Is there any difference among those eleven centers in major trends in psychiatry?

-Or are all of them pretty much Biological Psychiatry in the same sense as this paper? (psychrights.org/research/Di...n/BiologicalPsychiatry.pdf)

-Alternatively, which program do you think could provide a good rebuttal to the main point of this documentary?
http://www.blip.tv/file/1810280?utm_source=player_

-Does any of the programs train physicians into understanding human mental disease this doctor discusses in this talk?

http://www.kpfa.org/archive/id/41757 (to download, right mouse click 'Save Target As")

Does any one program separate itself from the DSM-IV; just like this essay? http://www.astraeasweb.net/politics/dsmiv.html

Well, I though you'd enjoy these links. Good luck.

EDIT: Added link for mp3 download lecture from KPFA.org

Edited by xenopus on Jun 14, 2012 - 1:07 PM. : update link

I am watching the movie right now....Did you check who are the people who are talking in the movie?rolling eyes

All naturopathic, and almost everybody have some business like natural foundation, wellness, founder of cybercenters of liberty and responsibility......lalala....bs

They are blaming psych for stealing their peace of cake (if you know what I mean)...selling their products...I agree psych drugs have side effects, but honestly can you cure acute psychotic pt. with some plants or naturopathic thing?! Seriously?! I also think psych drugs are prescribed more than they should be...

o geee also scientologist is talking...common!

doctor4usmle wrote:
wow xenopus, you really do extensive research on every topicsmiling face

Now I will read your links.....Thanks for sharing!

Thanks doctor4usmle. In reality I was interested in pursuing psychiatry but decided not. Let me tell you about the links (yes, they are good, that I can say). Let me start backwards.

I have a subscription with Harper's Magazine, so that was easy. wink

B3zruchka's talk I heard it long time ago when I was addicted to KPFA. nod

Video-documentary I found it here!! In the Lounge!! grin

Biological psychiatry article in fact came last after reading other sources and CAREFULLY listening to B3zruchka's points (and elaboration of those).

So, yeah, these links are good and it will take some time to digest, so enjoy them!!! Regards.

EDIT:
Lastly, let me add last all you hear and see has to be taken with a grain of salt. That's why you canNOT believe everything you see. If I recommend a documentary it doesn't mean that everything there is true. It just means; be careful, become skeptic and try to find better information.

Edited by xenopus on Jun 14, 2012 - 1:08 PM

@xenopus, thanks for sharing anyway!

I am still listening to it and checking ppl who are talking on the internet, .....listening to this scientologist physicianrolling eyes....

Why they did not add in the movie under their name "real occupation" not "former drug representative" or smth like that....Internet is open and I always like to check WHO says, not primarily what is said...

I agree with you, not to trust anything you see or hear.....nod

doctor4usmle wrote:
@xenopus, thanks for sharing anyway!

I am still listening to it and checking ppl who are talking on the internet, .....listening to this scientologist physicianrolling eyes....

Why they did not add in the movie under their name "real occupation" not "former drug representative" or smth like that....Internet is open and I always like to check WHO says, not primarily what is said...

I agree with you, not to trust anything you see or hear.....nod

doctor4usmle, besides being a skeptic another thing is important to keep in mind. Even if that scientologist physician you're talking about were just a humble floor cleaner it doesn't invalidate his arguments. In other words, it's not the messengER that you should attack, it's the MESSAGE that is important. In fact, attacking the man or finding a liability in him is one of the most common logical fallacies. It's called 'ad hominem' ; check it out yourself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

So that physician being holistic or not doesn't change the validity of his arguments. The main point overall is to find a Residency program in Psychiatry able to properly refute the arguments of the documentary. If there's such a place then I'll put it on the top of my list. But of course not rebuttals with ad hominems or any other fallacies (left column http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ ).

@xenopus, I am hoping to get into pedsnod...just out of curiosity I read your articles...smiling face

but I don't find scientologists to be relevant....just my own opinion...haven't attacked anyone...

People talk....people talk whatever is on their mind....I still look WHO says...and then WHAT is being said....If I take everyone's opinion as relevant I would be in total chaos....so for me, no matter what theory says it is important who is behind those words...

Oh we messed this thread....confused ...it was suppose to help with ranking...sorry....

Edited by doctor4usmle on Feb 04, 2011 - 10:08 PM

doctor4usmle wrote:
but I don't find scientologists to be relevant....just my own opinion...haven't attacked anyone...
People talk....people talk whatever is on their mind....I still look WHO says...and then WHAT is being said....If I take everyone's opinion as relevant I would be in total chaos....so for me, no matter what theory says it is important who is behind those words...
Oh we messed this thread....confused ...it was suppose to help with ranking...sorry....

doctor4usmle, just by participating in this issue, just by not letting it pass unquestioned, you just yourself demonstrated that you don't buy all the bu11shit that is out there. So score yourself a couple of pointsnod I find great inspiration in George Carlin's words "There's enough bu11shit as it is, there's just enough".

Regarding scientiology, honestly I don't know what it is. Haven't read that one yet, just hoping it doesn't show up in the testwink
Please keep participating, please keep questioning things. These are important issues, one should remain skeptic but not uninterested.
Good luck with your application.

Hi folks,

WOW!! Thank you all smiling face

Xenopus, buddy, UNFORTUNATELY you're right. Thank you a Ton for all interesting info...I'd seen a similar documentary before applying for psychiatry and also read an article...that's true...there is only one thing leading this world; That's power and money is the main tool to get more power...

The fact is I'm not interested in medicine anymore. I lost my interest in it since 2 years ago. As you said being skeptic is very important and I've been always very skeptic, but medicine kills it, it also kills your creativity. I know that I wouldn't get what I like through psychiatry. I like philosophy, psychology, neuroscience and I like to help people. I've never cared for money that much and I don't want to be like a monster by getting involved in this game pharmaceutical companies started. Unfortunately I couldn't get any interview from those programs which still place a bit more emphasis on psychosocial psychiatry. I hope to get into a research fellowship after finishing my residency, but something not related to pharmacology.

You know what, pharmaceutical companies play a big role in whole health care system , but of course that's much more prominent in psychiatry.

I don't know, maybe someday soon I quit medicine and start gardening or some thing else smiling face))

@ doctor4usmle: You're right buddy...I wouldn't want to live in Nebraska or Kansas city either, but I don't like NY/NJ at all...I love nature...Bakersfield is not a good place to live, but at least it's 1.5-2 hrs driving to LA, 3-4 hrs to San Francisco, 2 hrs to national parks...Rosalind Franklin is almost 1.5 hrs driving to downtown Chicago...the hospital itself is located somewhere that's not better than Bakersfield...

Thank you all smiling face really appreciate your help smiling face Good luck smiling face

hallucination wrote:
...I know that I wouldn't get what I like through psychiatry. I like philosophy, psychology, neuroscience and I like to help people. I've never cared for money that much and I don't want to be like a monster by getting involved in this game pharmaceutical companies started.

Hey hallucination, I love your response smiling face. In fact, I think that you being the kind of guy that you're, you're the chosen, the messenger, the perfect one to infiltrate into that mafia and make it implode from inside. As the Medici slogan said "Power to get money, money to get power" there's no way this can be taken out from outside. It has be brought down from inside. So go ahead, get into the belly of the beast and make it burst into a million pieces. Man, I'd like to hear more from you especially once when you're there deep inside. Keep us posted. Thanks.

On Feb 08, 2011 - 4:32 PM, hallucination responded:
Thank you so much for the kind words! really thank you smiling face It's not that easy to implode this mafia, it's a world wide problem ( I mean the power issue) but I am sure it couldn't last forever.

the fact is I really enjoy thinking in depth about everything. I totally agree with David Suzuki quote: "Education has failed in a very serious way to convey the most important lesson science can teach: skepticism”.

Another point is you only could be free if you have your own career without ANY dependency to the government.

Thanks a lot once again, but you know what? I'm not a man wink

I think I like that gardening part of your future nod I am often thinking about that, too!

I once drove through Bakersfield..not very pleasant smell.....so I was not "impressed" with that at all! But being in close proximity to national parks is deffinitely a huge plus..I guess there is no perfect place, .......or there is...... if we are fulfilled theresmiling face

GL with matching!

On Feb 08, 2011 - 4:45 PM, hallucination responded:
You're absolutely right about that smell in Bakersfield smiling face Some people call there the underarm of CA grin You should always weigh the pros and cons to ensure that's right choice for you, but there's still some doubt, this is life smiling face

Thank you and good luck smiling face

hallucination wrote:
I'm not a man wink

I'm more interested now.

It's a quiet interesting discussion,glad to hear you all

Characteristics of programs
Interview experience
Training (clinical /psychotherapy)
Research opportunity and publication
Fellowship opportunity
Location weather
Visa
Moonlighting

I gave score to each of the above criteria from 1-10 and total the score. It gave me an objective way to rank all my programs. Please try and leave the comments.

Attached Files:
Ranking Program.docx (49 KB, 23 downloads)

Love is in the air.....oooo.....love is in the air....sticking out tonguenodnod
hallucination wrote:
I'm not a man wink

I'm more interested now.

usdreams wrote:
Characteristics of programs
Interview experience
Training (clinical /psychotherapy)
Research opportunity and publication
Fellowship opportunity
Location weather
Visa
Moonlighting

I'm sure your suggestion is sincere. Of the set of criteria I liked the Training (clinical /psychotherapy); Research opportunity & publication; Fellowship ones. These are pretty good in my view.

But the initial list reminded me of this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvhsJyecpLc ; which is a way of seeing it from a funny point of view. Enjoy it with an open mind. wink

hahahaaha...funny..nod

On Feb 15, 2011 - 12:36 PM, hallucination responded:
agree smiling face

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Programs Ranking
Need help on ranking my programs
Ranking programs
show Related resources

Free Selection criteria of Residency Programs

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact