Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Depressed and Need advice  

• 0/5

Author16 Posts

Dear All,

I have been following this for a while, and now as I am seeking support,I would like to get information from experienced users here.

I applied to surgery and surgical specialties this match. I used to believe that my credentials are excellent, and here they are in no particular order:
- recently ECFMG certified in August
- 6 month of USCE at reputable places - all surgical rotations
- IMG of 2008
- Research position in neurosurgery at one of the top 20 institutions worldwide - for over a year till now
- currently pursuing a Masters degree in neuroscience
- USMLE 92, 93, pass all first time and withing 6 months period.
- US green card
- 4 Very strong US letters, 2 Excellent Canadian letters - all surgical specialties
- 3 publications, 2 presentation - and others were submitted or on the way of submission
- numerous volunteer works
- member of numerous professional societies and associations
- Revived few awards and honors, from my medical school, surgical association, and research society.

I applied in late September to 250 Programs coast to coast for General Surgery - both categorical and preliminary, university and community base.also applied for Neurosurgery and few ENT - as they have been my dream.

I haven't gotten any single interview till now. over 50 percent (as I have stopped to count) have replied with rejections !

I am now so depressed, frustrated, lost my faith and not sure what to do next.. lost lots of money, good times for nothing - not even an interview. I feel that the work of over ten years since high school has gone in vain!!

Now, I dont have the energy to continue the Masters degree, nor my research work - as they have not been even regarded by anyone!

I feel I retired very early before even I start ...
Should I go back home, stay quiet,and do nothing ... this seems like a wrong way, I should have taken, and I wish it hasn't been open at all from the beginning, so I would have stepped into it.

your input is appreciated

its your USMLE scores man... sorry to hear your situation. You might want to try applying to FP next year? or maybe peds.

you are an excellent candidate , and 92-93 is great scores, not 99 but still above 90... what is going on with this match....i`m sorry buddy ,,,i feel your pain...just keep praying,,,, good luck

The fact that I haven't even received a single interview invitation even from low profile pre-liminary G. surg, makes me very reluctant to take any step further, to avoid more losses.

It will also be very challenging to switch into other -non-surgical specialties, not simply because of my love surgery, but because all of my letters, and experience are only surgery directed.

scramble......prelim surg....

have you checked to make sure there is nothing wrong with your application material ? and have you taken the CS ?
although you have green card taking the step three with 99 score will be a great plus
and of course one point of doing research and USCE is to build connections so talk to people you have worked with and ask them to help you

if I am a NeuroSurgery PD ? sure I will offer u a NeuroSurgery Prematch !

it is a crazy world !

Keep trying, it will come one day!

U didnt mention your step 2CS. Have u already passed that?
U a strong candidate for sure. maybe u need some contacts...that is what I think of now

He mentioned that he is recently ECFMG certified (that includes passing CS)....

Anyway, match this year is so f***** up rolling eyes

truemamamia wrote:
U didnt mention your step 2CS. Have u already passed that?
U a strong candidate for sure. maybe u need some contacts...that is what I think of now

They are scared of you....that's my guess. Faculty are scared of mature, solid candidates. They want sheep instead. 

I absolutely agree with xenopus. You are Over qualify.
Delete some of your application.

doctor4usmle wrote:
He mentioned that he is recently ECFMG certified (that includes passing CS)....

Anyway, match this year is so f***** up rolling eyes

I agree match is very strong but still he is a very very strong candidate so it baffles me. Maybe there is a red flag somewhere that he is forgetting to mention. I know surgery is very very competitive but damn...with these credentials...I am baffled.

Try emailing programs with your straight to the point resume. Maybe your application escaped them

as far as i can see this post started by surgeryapplicant is dated in 2010, so this is not for this year's match.. wonder wat happened to him?

dr.hina wrote:
as far as i can see this post started by surgeryapplicant is dated in 2010, so this is not for this year's match.. wonder wat happened to him?

Good point Dr Hina. Possibly truemamamia and myself are taking recycling to the extreme grin

smiling face

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

i am depressed-ppl advice
depressed need advice
Depressed and need advice
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact