Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Question  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

A 5 y/o boy with recurrent ear infections recieves booster immunization against Diphteria tetanus Petusis. His response is well below for age and sex. Peripheral B and T caunt and function are within normal range. The antibody he makes is positive for both passive hemaglutination and complement mediated lysis of tt coated erythrocytes . His antibody does not opsonize tt coated latex particles for pahagocytosis and do not directly precipitate it efficiently. The child mos likely has:

a) Affinity maturation of inmunoglobins
b) Inmunoglobin isotype switching
c) Recombination of heavy chain variable region gene
d)Recombination of light chain variable region gene
e) Somatic mutation of inmunoglobin genes

Choices C and D can be ruled out without any doubt

And so can be choice E as it says "The antibody he makes is positive for both passive hemaglutination and complement mediated lysis of tt coated erythrocytes"--> which is done by IgM .

And finally it says "His antibody does not opsonize tt coated latex particles for phagocytosis and do not directly precipitate it efficiently."

So I am thinking that the answer is a)AFFINITY MATURATION OF IMMUNOGLOBULIN

i think the answer is choice b cuz as he has a problem with opsonizatin he either has IgG or c3b defect, so if he dont have class switching so he doesnt have igG . am i right?

this child has hyper IgM syndrome and it is a problem with class switching. deficiency of CD40 L on T cells.
answer is B

BBBBBBBBB

RECURRENT INFECTIONS MEANS NO SECONDARY IMMU. RESPONE ,,MEANS NO SWITCHING,,
FUNCTION AND COUNT NORMAL RANGE ,,EXCLUDE A,C,D
NOT SOMATIC MUTATION ,,NO PREDISPOSING FACTES

Clearly answer should be B.therez a defect in isotype switching leading to IgG deficiency and hence opsonization defect..

answer is B

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

A similar Question to Sturge's Question
question
this question again and again
show Related resources

Conrad Fischer's Internal Medicine Question Book

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact