Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Passed, Philadelphia  

• 100/5

Author5 Posts

So I haven't posted in a while but wanted to give my results in CS. I am an Carribean med student, presently 4th year. I set up with a study partner and we practiced for 3 weekends before our scheduled test. We used the FA CS book and took turns being the patient and the doc. We used a timer the last weekend to get everything perfected.

My test was in the evening and there weren't any zebra cases..all striaght forward complaints. I forgot to wash my hands in one case and said something really stupid in another. A patient was married and only occassionally using condoms but not trying to conceive....I responded "Well if you do not wish to conceive and you're using condoms irregularly then that's a gauranteed way to get pregnant. (internal dialog WTF did I say that???)

I received my highest scores in communication and rapport and a little borderline in notes and data gathering. I will be back later to answer questions but have to return to rotations now. smiling face

OKay so now I have more time to go into detail.

I started each exam by reading the info on the door and before walking in tried to think of differentials and what questions I needed to ask. So if it was a child I immediately thought of the pneumonic BINDERS. If it was someone who was "tired" I would write SIG E CAPS on the top of my paper to remind myself to check for depression.

As soon as I walked in I would introduce myself and drape the patient. The room was cold and the person is wearing just a gown so I felt this was a realistic thing to do as they were most likely uncomfortable. Then I would ask if I could sit while questioning them as I have somewhat of a medical condition right now where I can't stand for long periods. I would then take a thorough history and if they mentioned smoking, unprotected sex, alcohol, or drug use I would counsel immediately. I felt it was more natural to the process than to wait until the end...plus I wouldn't forget. I CAGEd anyone who drank even a glass of wine...better to be safe than sorry I guess. One patient I made a phone pact with as I felt he wasn't actively suicidal but did indicate he wouldn't mind if he just died. I told him I would give him my number as well as a hotline number and he was to call it if he ever felt like hurting himself.

I made a few mistakes. I forgot to wash my hands with one patient because as soon as I stood to start the physical he rolled on his side and began yelling he was in pain. While I know it is simulated I just didn't expect such a dramatic and sudden change in behavior. He would not answer any questions (how can I help? Can I help you into a more comfortable position?) while he was yelling to kingdom come. Suddenly he rolled back on his back, stopped yelling and smirked while I proceeded with the exam. Afterward I wondered if he purposely tried to rattle the test taker to see if they would forget handwashing. (insert paranoia here)

Some of the time I would forget specific questions until I began closing but I would simply say, "Oh and I forgot to ask something....did you...?" I don't think the mock patients care when the questions are asked, as long as they are asked and then they check it off on the list.

I also did not know that you are supposed to insist a person bring the baby in for an exam after speaking to them on the phone. Because the baby in question was not febrile or even sick (regular infant stuff/nervous caretaker) I told them to call back if any change of status occured. My husband later told me you MUST insist they bring the baby in for follow up. Oops.

With the exception of one patient I didn't get any strange or unknown diseases. It was like an average day in a Family Practice. One patient was so nonspecific in his complaints that I must've used every pneumonic in my artillary and still came up confused. In the end I decided to do a basic workup and used the most common differentials. I still have no idea what his problem was supposed to be.

The staff was very friendly and felt the evening went quickly. I had the rumors aboou Phili being one of the "harder" cities but honestly felt there wasn't a big deal. It was a straight forward test and very systematic.

Jazaki Lah Khairane 3anna,smiling face
Very nice and detailed experience, my exam is in 2 weeks in philly, I am only using FA CS.

thanks ,, very helpful,,
i wonder if u can pot ur pneumonics,, to use

hi i gave my exam in houston few days back.....i didn do counsalling fr alcohol on one of d case and misfired 2 diagnoses...how bad is it/.??///m tnsd...do reply

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

passed passed passed cs...
CS passed in Philadelphia, 12/3
pipe date in philadelphia
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact