Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Ant. Pituitary Damage....  

• 0/5

Author8 Posts

Basics of Question:

Blunt head trauma, possible avulsion of pituitary. MRI indicates a clot at base of brain.

If patient suffers decreased anterior pituitary function, which effect would you notice 1st that would provide information on the overall health of pituitary?

Amenorrhea
Dwarfism
Acromegaly
Infertility
Hypothyroidism

amnorrhea

you're good, but why not the hypothyroidism?

what effect will you notice first is the question dude. Female menstruate in a 28 cycle by far.
To see effects of hypothyroidism it will take longer due to stored thyroid hormones.

What if it were a male? Would it be infertility?

how would you know infertility dude? unless he was getting his wife pregnant?
You want the answer to be hypothyroidism badly.
So here it will be that.

On Aug 13, 2010 - 4:35 PM, djroac01 responded:
No, actually the answer is infertility according the answer key b/c of decreased FSH/LH.

They say not hypothyroidism b/c of T4's prolonged half-life - hypothyroidism would not be noticed for a few months.

Oh, and refering to someone as dude everytime you answer a question comes across as being condescending. How do you know I am not a dudette anyways, Dude?

dude or dudette hahhaha,that was funny,,,do not get upset about it ,i am "dudette"too but frequently called dud! come on how can i know you r f or m just by your ID,,the pronounce HE we use for anybody/animal who we do not know the gender ,,or even for GOD we say HE .....

about the question i agree with you that infirtility can be an option aswell but between amnorrhea and infirtility the one that you notice first is amnorrhea -as nick 77 mentioned-

i just do not like this question i think is not well designed .

Edited by doctorforever on Aug 13, 2010 - 5:42 PM

djroac01 you are funny dude. My dear dude and buddy. thank you for your questions but honestly i am more likely to see a doctor for hypothyroidism sooner than i will see him for infertility.
By the way it is just friendly way of calling.
Keep it going doctor. It is good to discuss.
I respect you doc- djroac01.

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

ant chest exam in a female SP
ant suggestion??
fail but c'ant beleve
show Related resources

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact