Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

2011 General Surgery Applicants!  

• 80/5

0%
votes

Author92 Posts

Dear friends,
I have question pls, I did 4 months elective clinical Two in Vascular Surgery and Two in Medicine.... so for surgery, have I 4 months USCE or just 2.
Some program requested four months on hand experience so can I apply to it??? or should I did 4 months USCE on surgery only ??

Thanks

I think you should apply especially if letter writers are willing to mention and emphasize on the 'hands-on-experience'. But keep in mind, most programs don't consider observerships hands-on-experience.

Thanks ssrpk,
May be you miss understand me.
I will apply for Cleveland clinic and they request 4 Months USCE.
I did 4 months electives " on-hand- experience" Two months in Surgery and 2 months in Cardiology-Medicine.

My question, when they requested 4 months USCE, they mean 4 months in Surgery only?? or whatever in Surgery or Medicine???

Thank you so much.

did anybody hear from UT san antonio?

guys any idea what they ask in MGH interview? i have an interview there in couple of weeks and i have no idea what to prepare!

Interview from Univ of Connecticut (Prelim)

Rej(s):

- UTMB - Galveston

- Upstate Uni - Syracuse

- Emory Uni

- Washington Hospital Center - DC

My rejections so far with their corresponding dates confused :

- MSU at Lansing, MI (9/15)
- USL at Saint Louis, MO (9/16)
- UTSW at Austin, TX (9/17)
- U. of Louisville at Louisville, KC (9/20)
- Medical College of Georgia at Augusta, GA (10/5)
- Lahey Clinic at Boston, MA (10/6)
- U. of Chicago at Chicago, IL (10/12)
- Texas A&M at Temple, TX (10/13)
- Washington Hospital Center at Washington, DC (10/14)

Guys , I want to know please......

The student doctor net the famous network for american grads has reported dates of interviews in a lot of places i have applied and i have not heared from them anything!!!!!!!!!!!

What does this mean? Silent rejection ???????

Or i might have a chance to be considered later? I personally believe the first one cause i dont think they will interviw first AMGs and at the end of the period will call any of us (mean IMGs )....

I think my boat is sinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need help.......

Yep, I wonder the same thing pekovic. I follow SDN as well and as for now I've counted exactly 50 programs where I've applied to, that have already sent some of their interviews. Either these are silent rejections (very ilkely) or I'm just in a sort of waitlist... some programs wait for the MSPE release to send invites, many send their invites by late October.

My hope is that overly concerned AMGs who applied to too many programs may be receiving in the following weeks too many invites to go to... I'm crossing fingers those cancellations open some spots for us.... but my fear is that many AMGs are in front of the line! boy, things have changed, I'm under the impression we'll see significant changes in the statistics for this match: impressive surge of AMGs applications into surgery, mainly due working hour regulations...disapproval

Guys, I'm in the same boat, with pretty much the same rejections list. I also consider the programs that were posted on SDN to be silent rejections.

So, I bit the bullet and lost. It's time to start working on alternatives.

It is kind of annoying that such a high proportion of programs don't send us written rejections for our own damn sake. Sometimes I think I'm in the rejection pile and they are just waiting for the MSPE release to send the rejection. A more hopeless way of thinking would be that they've already erased my application from their system, therefore they lack an address to send the rejection grin

dzole, who knows what can happen in the next 3-4 weeks. Although this is a gruesome and desperate panorama, never lose hope, never do. I still keep my prayers up. But it is wise to start working on alternatives... let's see, let's see what alternatives...

Yeah, you're right... which alternatives?

Wait for the scramble and be happy if you get into a prelim position.

Rej: UTMB - Galveston

Rej: U. North Carolina - Chapel Hill.

Absolute silence for 10 days. even the rejections stream dried up. so far, i've been rejected by some 10% of the programs.

I had had silence too for 8 days, until the day before yesterday. Me too rejected by 10% of the programs, 10/100... though this is higly underestimated due silenced rejections disapproval

I try to imagine what do those silent rejectors think when they take a look at the no of img applications... probably without even bothering to consider each one of them individually.

Probably think of us as poor little creeps totally detached from reality.

Not that I'm judging them...

dzole wrote:
I try to imagine what do those silent rejectors think when they take a look at the no of img applications... probably without even bothering to consider each one of them individually.

lol couldn't avoid finding that funny grin...

Sadly, I certainly believe a bunch of them do as you tell. I think if they at least had flipped through my application in 1 minute, they would've had second thoughts about being so annoyingly silent.

pmapunk66 wrote:
dzole wrote:

lol couldn't avoid finding that funny grin...

Sadly, I certainly believe a bunch of them do as you tell. I think if they at least had flipped through my application in 1 minute, they would've had second thoughts about being so annoyingly silent.

If only they have flipped through the applications, they would be overwhelmed by the sheer competitiveness.

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

2011 General Surgery Matched cred
Matched Applicants 2011
2011 Radiology Applicants
show Related resources

NMS Surgery
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Surgery
General Surgery (Board Review Series)

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact