Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login





 2011 General Surgery Applicants!  



Post Reply  
  • 80/5
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

0%
votes



Author92 Posts
  #1

Guys lets start all together and put our credentials and any info we draw from self researching programs. I give the outline and .......................lets start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Step 1

Step2

Step cs

Step3

Research/pubs

USCE

No of programs tend to apply




  #2

OK Pekovic and friends!!!!!!!!!Lets try to keep this thread alive!!!!
I am the first one, i hope more and more will follow...........
Here is mine:

Step 1 230 96
step2ck 233 97
Step 2 cs pending
USCE--none
Research-- 9 months/ 2pubs
Programs to apply 100 /most university

Thank you, and buddies please PRAY for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


On Aug 02, 2010 - 3:06 PM, pekovic responded:
Good credentials Lazaros, i am pretty sure that you would take a spot!


  #3

hello surg freaks! 2010 IMG grad.

Step 1 99

Step2 99

Step cs passed 1st attempt

Step3 not planning to take

Research/pubs actually doing a surgical research fellow in big university, but no pubs so far =)

4 months USCE

Programs to apply: everywhere.

Problem with ECFMG certificate, my diploma won´t be out until January!!!!!! I don`t know how will this affect my applications-

cheers!


Edited by pmapunk66 on Oct 28, 2010 - 4:52 AM

  #4

pls add VISA status


  #5

Pmappunk You are so great!! I whish i had your credentialssad sad.
Visa status J1 (but i am looking for H1b-like everyone i suppose smiling face]

Info on University of Washington-->in order to be accepted as an applicant you have to be certified on the international subinternship program!!!And guess what, you have to pay 1500$ -->simply not fair sad


  #6

Hi guys! I want to join the club. Although I guess we should be good in dealing with anxiety, I still need your company. They say that you should be a crazy bastard to try to get into a GS program as a non-American IMG. If that is the case, then I probably am a crazy bastard. One thing for sure - we all do have guts, so I will enjoy your company. Whatever happens, we are going to have a lot of fun.

This is how I did my boards:

Step 1 274/99, Step 2 CK 275/99, CS - pass, all first attempt.
1 month observership, no LoR.
Need visa.

Pekovic, why do not you share svoje credentials with nama?


  #7

n I believe we are the guys who have the guts and will try anything for surgery...

lazaros, thanks! I wish I had dzole's, man you have unbeliaveable scores!! i believe with that you will have enough! well my visa status, I'm kinda lucky because I'm a citizen, moved out of the US when I was 4.

But my flaw is that I'm probably not going to be certified until february!! I believe this will be a huge disadvantage, and am considering to apply for 2012... what do you think?


  #8

the thing with University of Washington is unfair for us who wish to apply to their program... but at the same time, it is admirable the program they have, offering IMGs a sub-intership which means potential great USCE, letters and 1 more program allowance to apply.

I should have known about their sub-i program long ago... would have more surely applied to it.


  #9

pmapunk66 wrote:
n I believe we are the guys who have the guts and will try anything for surgery...

lazaros, thanks! I wish I had dzole's, man you have unbeliaveable scores!! i believe with that you will have enough! well my visa status, I'm kinda lucky because I'm a citizen, moved out of the US when I was 4.

But my flaw is that I'm probably not going to be certified until february!! I believe this will be a huge disadvantage, and am considering to apply for 2012... what do you think?


Thanks. hope i will get a few. Still, you can find a guy on this forum who got only 2 ivs with both scores in 270s and GC. Your scores are great, and I don't believe that I have any advantage over you because of the scores. When you get above certain threshold, I don't think that a PD gives a shit if it is 257, 260, 270 or 299. Yes, you feel good to be on 99th and 98th percentile, yes, you can show off on forums (like I did), but it does not make any difference when it comes to ivs and ranking. After getting above certain threshold on boards, it is important to secure other things that, although on its own less important then scores, together can beat the scores. That is where we come to my problems. Graduated in 2008 (was scared to apply with step 1 only, now I think it was a mistake). After that did a 6 month internship and some academic postgraduate studies. Only 2 Pubs in a leading national journal (Eastern Europe). Research - weak, I have done some for my MSc studies at home. On top of all that, I need a visa, with step 3 only in plans. +Ever present issues with my English. USCE 1 month observership. Not a single US LoR.
In summary, all I've got are THE scores, which is far from enough. Some community prelim should make me happy.
Now, why wouldn't you apply? You passed all the exams, there is that technical issue with grad date, as I understand? So, programs should understand that too, and not be afraid that you could screw up an exam. That's how I see the essence of them seeking the certificate.


Edited by dzole on Aug 15, 2010 - 1:27 AM

  #10

dzole wrote:
pmapunk66 wrote:
n I believe we are the guys who have the guts and will try anything for surgery...

lazaros, thanks! I wish I had dzole's, man you have unbeliaveable scores!! i believe with that you will have enough! well my visa status, I'm kinda lucky because I'm a citizen, moved out of the US when I was 4.

But my flaw is that I'm probably not going to be certified until february!! I believe this will be a huge disadvantage, and am considering to apply for 2012... what do you think?


Thanks. hope i will get a few. Still, you can find a guy on this forum who got only 2 ivs with both scores in 270s and GC. Your scores are great, and I don't believe that I have any advantage over you because of the scores. When you get above certain threshold, I don't think that a PD gives a shit if it is 257, 260, 270 or 299. Yes, you feel good to be on 99th and 98th percentile, yes, you can show off on forums (like I did), but it does not make any difference when it comes to ivs and ranking. After getting above certain threshold on boards, it is important to secure other things that, although on its own less important then scores, together can beat the scores. That is where we come to my problems. I did crappy job on all other fields. Graduated in 2008 (was scared to apply with step 1 only, now I think it was a mistake). After that did a 6 month internship and some academic postgraduate crap. Only 2 Pubs in a leading national journal (Eastern Europe) which is probably =0 in the eyes of a PD. Research - weak, I have done some for my MSc studies at home, which again probably =0. On top of all that, I need a visa, with step 3 only in plans. +Ever present issues with my English. USCE 1 month observership. Not a single US LoR.
In summary, all I've got are THE scores, which is far from enough. Some community prelim should make me happy.
Now, why wouldn't you apply? You passed all the exams, there is that technical issue with grad date, as I understand? So, programs should understand that too, and not be afraid that you could screw up an exam. That's how I see the essence of them seeking the certificate.


Hey dzole I feel your frustration. But I believe you have fair chances getting in. You are not a very old graduate. Your scores are blasting. At least you have some research exp, you seem to be able to explain to PDs what you've been doing in the last 2 years. Although you have some flaws I don't see any true red flags in your application (very old grad, failed attempts, poor scores etc), at least you fill some programs USCE requirement with that 1 month observeship =)... and IMHO your english looks very fine to me. Try your best and pray hard.

About me, yes, I guess I will apply and will try to contact every program I can telling them about my issues with the freaking diploma, telling them I've passed my steps and am a Doctor. I never had seen it from the standpoint of view you told me: ECFMG assures PDs that you have passed exams... for God sakes I'm a doctor already! I graduated on May of this year and my diploma will be issued by the government of Spain on Jan or Feb next year! this is bull%$&!! lol sorry this has turned me in a very bad mood, it makes me want to bite someone's head of... But there will be harm, some PDs out there are not flexible and want to see you certified immediately.... even if I call em. But well, as I said, do my best and pray hard.


  #11

Really i feel disapointed.............sadsadsadsadsadsadsad
The post has been read by 178 probably potential candidates for surgery ,
and there are 3 only who have the GUTS to talk about their credentials.........................................

TOO unfair and disapointing......
GL


  #12

well there are people out there too shy. There is also sometimes the feeling of potential harm that can come from posting your credentials. I'm not shy and don't believe that this will harm my application... there are also those who believe don't have nice credentials (I must accept the fact that my credentials are not bad, I have fought for them with all my heart) and so they don't want to share them... happens exact the same with scores.


  #13

lol and I can't avoid finding funny that the creator of the thread didn't post his/her credentials himself/herself. Very funny and ironic indeed grin


  #14

Fellow applicant here. I won't post up my stats here for one reason: it won't do any good for us or for future applicants to discuss "oh your credentials are great, you will surely get get many interviews!" and the like. What's useful for anyone to know are stats, interviews received, match location, and how many programs applied to. In a word, after match season is over. We can all wax poetic about our potential chances, but none of that matter when it comes to what the end result is.

Therefore, I will save posting my app information for after the match so future applicants can have a better understanding of where they stand. On a similar note, the primary threads I'm viewing here are from the last match cycle.

It's not about harm to my application, but about cluttering up the forums with useless information.

To the poster saying it's unfair: why is it unfair? I know we all have a vested interest in knowing who our potential competition is, but really? Would it affect your decision to apply anyway?



  #15

ibethatsurgeon wrote:
Fellow applicant here. I won't post up my stats here for one reason: it won't do any good for us or for future applicants to discuss "oh your credentials are great, you will surely get get many interviews!" and the like. What's useful for anyone to know are stats, interviews received, match location, and how many programs applied to. In a word, after match season is over. We can all wax poetic about our potential chances, but none of that matter when it comes to what the end result is.

Therefore, I will save posting my app information for after the match so future applicants can have a better understanding of where they stand. On a similar note, the primary threads I'm viewing here are from the last match cycle.

It's not about harm to my application, but about cluttering up the forums with useless information.

To the poster saying it's unfair: why is it unfair? I know we all have a vested interest in knowing who our potential competition is, but really? Would it affect your decision to apply anyway?



Yeah, it is one of the purposes of the thread - very useful material for future applicants. People are usually lazy/busy/unmotivated to contribute to forums after everything is over, that's why I decided to post now, when I still have some spare time.

But don't you think that this is a bit of a support thread for the difficult days of expectation and uncertainty that are before us? For me, it is of some value to spend those days among guys who are in the same shit, so nobody understands my doubts and frustration better than they do. Yes, you can call me a pussy because I am looking for a shoulder to cry on.

Supporting others with small courtesies like 'great scores', 'solid chances to get in' is probably of no value except that it makes both of us feel just a little bit better. Nobody here is a fool to honestly believe that there is even a slightest chance to know about antibody's chances of getting in. So, since the info we are posting here is of such a great value for future applicants, they should forgive us for not giving them the info in its purest form.

Finally, it is crystal-clear that the things I posted here could harm my application badly! Still, I'll live with that.


Edited by dzole on Aug 15, 2010 - 1:26 AM

  #16

let's keep this one alive. Applied to 84 , mostly uni/uni-affiliated, was rather picky. No backup specialty crap, I will do surgery or nothing else. Not very wise, probably subscribed myself for scramble by doing this.

Got filtered out by SUNY at SB, they will not consider IMGs this year. Since there is no filter for LOR writers or USCE and to check for that they have to review one's application, my rejs are about to pour a bit later.

Another interesting thing. There was that rush 'omg, aplly on 9/01, apply on 9/01'. By today, I can see that many programs did not even start downloading.


Edited by dzole on Sep 03, 2010 - 10:34 PM

  #17

hey dzole good luck buddy, I have not yeat applied, doing so in the next few days. Now that you tell me about SUNY SB, I guess I'll be applying to 94 programs, instead of 95. Mostly university or affiliated. Me too, not going to apply to backup at all, can't see myself doing different than surgery. Will pray hard. I've chosen 25 of the 94 in which I am applying to both, prelim and categorical. I chose these programs because prestigious and higher categorical-to-prelim ratios. The rest are only categorical applications. I have discarded those places that require more USCE than my 4 months and those that need you to be certified by application. My diploma arrived though, so I guess is a matter of time before I become certified, but not soon enough disapproval

The best luck for all surgery applicants.


  #18

hi dzole&pmapunk66. same is here applied only to 78 GS programs no backup all are uni/uni affil. except 3 programs. didn't receive any IVs/rejection alot of programs didn't download my documents yet.


  #19

hi

good to hear that there are more of us. i checked prelim for every prog that offered nondesignated spots. clicked categoricals just for fun. let's be realistic.

mo, I think that your number of 70-80 is realistic, b/c that's my estimate of the no of places where IMGs stand at least a theoretical chance.


  #20

you are completely right dzole, 70-80 is the # of GS programs that may accept IMGs





Bookmark and Share





Login or Register to post messages








show Similar forum topics

2011 General Surgery Matched cred
Matched Applicants 2011
2011 Radiology Applicants
show Related resources

NMS Surgery
Kaplan Lecture Notes: Surgery
General Surgery (Board Review Series)








Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact