Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

Help! Pathology residency  

• 0/5

Author12 Posts

hi,

I am an img, just have step 1 score of 83. yet to take step 2 ck n cs. I'v been trying to get observerships in pathology but without much luck. I really want to do pathology residency. I've been researching programs n many say they accept scores of above 75 or 80. does this mean I stand a chance or is it still too competitive? I really don't know what to do. if i should just continue trying for pathology or think of others like family medicine.. any opinion will be welcome. thank you

Hello friends,,,,,,,,,,I really want to do pathology residency. I've been researching programs n many say they accept scores of above 75 or 80. does this mean I stand a chance or is it still too competitive? I really don't know what to do...........
nodnodnod

hi sneha.. i still applied, but i think its competitive. I just got a rejection from university of minnesota whos min req is 75. but I'd say still try, u never know

I am a path resident and an FMG and from what I have seen both as an applicant and as a resident, most programs will take an american grad with mediocre USMLE scores over an FMG any time. Also, there are so many FMGs applying to path that programs can cherry-pick the best applicants and these will generally be people with USMLE scores of 85+ (1st attempt). Therefore, even if a program lists the minimum score as being 75 or 80. As an FMG, you will be lucky to get an interview with scores <85 and if you do, you are very unlikely to match. It is important to boost your CV with pathology USCE and with LORs from American pathologists

The NRMP have some scary data regarding applicants and PGY-1 positions:
http://www.nrmp.org/images/fig1large.jpg

Hello sir , sneha here......I don't understand what you say us....Actually i'm confused..........Thanks to reply my post.........

thank you for your reply joelpi..

I ended up getting 93 on my step 2. do u think that will make a difference?

can u tell me about your experience preparing for the match. I am trying to get some USCE,but its hard finding it. Do you have any advice on how to go about it?

Dr.ice
Your step 2 score will certainly help you.

Unfortunately there are very few university programs that allow foreign grads to gain experience in pathology. Northwestern university does. Johns Hopkins used to and may again (check).

Obtaining an ECFMG certificate will help you. Many programs will not offer interviews to FMGs unless they have this piece of paper.

does one have a chance without us lors

dr.ice wrote:
hi sneha.. i still applied, but i think its competitive. I just got a rejection from university of minnesota whos min req is 75. but I'd say still try, u never know

Thanks for reply me.........sneha

dr.ice,

Problem is here.

When program filters with 85 or 90, whose ANY ONE step is below 85 or 90, he/she is out of first screening. I have observed and came to know from Program directly.

But your recent grad year will be a great help and if you have US pathologist LOR.

Good luck.

dr.ice,

Problem is here.

When program filters with 85 or 90, whose ANY ONE step is below 85 or 90, he/she is out of first screening. I have observed and came to know from Program directly.

But your recent grad year will be a great help and if you have US pathologist LOR.

Good luck.

So any news?
Where did you match guys?

Good luck smiling face (even though it's a little bit late, sorry)

Bookmark and Share

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

Pathology residency
pathology residency 1
Pathology residency
show Related resources

Rapid Review Pathology
Free Selection criteria of Residency Programs
Robbins Basic Pathology

Advertise | Support | Privacy | TOS | Premium | Contact