Prep for USMLEPrep for USMLE
         Forum      |     Resources New Posts   |   Register   |   Login

"OLD IMGs"...pls gather here  

• 0/5

Author84 Posts

Hi all "old IMGs" out there.. This is to any OLD IMG who's applying this yr..and to all those who applied and got positions last ...we need your advice badly..

Is this process of looking for programs to apply to frustrating and depressing or is it just me??sad

How are u guys going about choosing programs? I look at a program's criteria, call them up and sometime I'm still undecided. The good university programs take a lot of PGY 1s but don't want any "old grads" (only a few of them say they "will consider if you have prior formal training") ..some of them want you to have at least one yr of GME training in the US..how can that possibly be? If i'm an old grad no prelim program would want me for the same reasons that these big shot university programs don't want me!!

In The smaller community-based, university affiliated programs we stand a chance...but only if they are hiring a large number of PGY 1s (i think)...what do we do??? what are u guys out there doing? Am I the only one going through this??

Someone told me not to pay attention to these criteria put by programs?? HOw could we not? If they say they want someone five yrs or less, and I am not, won't my application be filtered out from the very beginning??

Someone else told me not to apply to any program with less then10 PGY1 positions...again how could I not? SOme of these say they could be flexible about grad yr cut offs..

I am confused and depressedsad, and good scores don't seem to matter ...and I don't even want a very competitive speciality...peds..graduated in 2002....feeling awfully "old"

I think I will feel better if we all gather here and get some support from each other...the same way I fought for step 1, 2 CK and 2 CS..this forum has been a great support place for me through all these steps...I am now looking for it to help pull me through the tough times to come...

God bless

Hi rfm,

Include me ..I am 2005 graduate with same clinical background and H/O!

Hello guys! old IMG? I'm qualified, 2001 graduate. Older than 2002 and 2005 LOL!
Right now, I'm trying to do observership, still getting LORs.
I'm lost actually and I'm just holding on to my dream with prayers and hardwork, hoping that one program director will see that in my plain CV smiling face
I tried match a resident.com though.

Hi guys ! I'm older than all of you graduated before 2000 ,count me in ,applied last year did not match ,not sure what to do this match

who is old ? smiling face u are all great, at least we have some experience to mension in the personal statments grin we fight the battle till now,,, guys hang on there just last fight to go nod

My recommendation for the match and may be i`m wrong..

1- trust in yourself, have faith in God whatever meant to u will be yours.

2- small community programs are better for us. no much competiton there

3- it is better to look in far away cold states where no one wants to gosticking out tongue

4- accept any kind of visa,,J1 is not a bad thing.. and allways can be waived later on

5- do your home work, ask your friends and every where around about programs who accepted people in your situation,,,,,,give them a phone call, let them know u can speak english and u love their program the best,,,

6- last thing i can say, let us know the result of all that crap i just wrote....grin

NOT OLDER THEN ME- ISNT IT? Last year I have applied with only step1 and cs result without any usce and us lor- did not get a single iv- this year I hv profile like my signature . Lets hope for the best.

oh wow!! great to see you all guys here!!! I knew I couldn't be all alone...GRRRREEAAAT to have you all on board..feel much better today than when I wrote that desparate first postgrin

@match_aatam: u are not yet counted as old buddy...a lot of the programs out there have 5 yr cut offs..so good luck to you..go for those programs and may u match THIS YEAR!!!

@mrdn9601: good luck to you to buddy..but 2001 and 2002 are not really that much of a differencewink....how is matcharesident..I registered with them but never activated that list...very hesitant..it's quiet a bit of money that we will be spending on programs and I want to save every pennygrin...how did u find their services so far and wil u apply to all the progrmas they have in your list?

dsngeneration: BELIEVE IN URSELF...I have started writing out all those affirmative positive thought, even though it's difficult at times for me to believe them...but I try my best...but hey..they worked for me in both step 1 and 2CK...follow hyvees suggestions up there..very well said..couldnt say that better!!!

DULU: U HAVE A POST GRAD DEGREE pal!!! Let that show up crystal clear in ur application pacakge and personal statement..show maturity and wisdomgrin..have confidence inurself and ur credentials...

HYVEE...how could I thank you enough for your words...I remember you from my step 1 experience post...laughing at me when I called myself old..well.. I am so in the eyes of many PD...things are relative my dear...I have been floowing your several journals...congratulations for passing step 2CS and good luck for step 1smiling face.. I have quoted your step 2CK journal for one of my "old friends" who is just starting her steps journey telling her...you have to read this post by someone called hyvee...it will give u that push u neednod

well guys and girls...er.. ladies and gentelmenwink...thank you all for coming here to share your stories...let's share our frustrations, thoughts, ups and downs through this match season..let's keep this thread alive..anyone who has qs about the application and match process can post it here for all us ' rusty oldies ' just kidding..I will personally be happy to answer any qs I can..let's hope we see other oldies who have crossed over to the other side to give a piece of advice..

God bless

hey hyvee..so u think we should apply to a program that accepts 6 applicants?? Probably there are less ppl applying there but is it worth it to go thru the competition with even those few ppl?

I should really start to practice what I preach...have faith in my credentials...I am lacking terribly in thatsticking out tongue

rfm, u allready thanked me enough, i don`t even think i deserve it,,smiling face

this is my personal thinking as big programs are usually in big cities and big univerisities,,, and high compitition... if there is someone who allready matched can give us an input.. or if u read some posts from last years it would be greatly appreciated nod

and thank u for congratulating me, i`m working hard now on step 1 ,i need to catch the match otherwise il`l be really oldy for next year matchgrin

On Jul 22, 2010 - 5:17 AM, rfm responded:
keep the faith hyvee...and BELIEVE IN YOURSELF

appreciate ur input abotu community programs...u do jave a good point..

Hi rfm,
@match_aatam: u are not yet counted as old buddy...a lot of the programs out there have 5 yr cut offs..so good luck to you..go for those programs and may u match THIS YEAR!!!

Thank you ! That is encouraging!

addme guys.... i am 7 years graduated...80's score ..almost no USCE,i 'll try my luck this year ...ia agree that it doesn't matter j1 or h1,also try to conntact every person u knew ,and he could help,i knew a lot of IMG who have the same criteria and get post by connection...
keep in touch and may we meet in some interviews..i hope best for u...

welcome drhakam..I remember you from your PMssmiling face...yeah you are right about cnonections..an IMG who has matched several years ago (now a practising physician) told me the same...try to make as many contacts as you can..

good luck to you too palsmiling face

Hi rfm, thanks for the good words ,we have to support each other ,

please keep this thread alive

hey all

how's it going with everyone here? fine , I hope..not too good with me..am struggling to get my credentials verified by my ______ school..am paralysed with fear that it won't happen on time, i now realise that i should have been very aggressive with this from the very start..it's very complicated with BOTH my country and medical school..i wish i never graduated form that school and was not from that country!!! that's how bitter am feeling right now...may God help to get over this...hope no one has to go through this coz it's BEYOND frustrationmad

i have to remind u that without that school/ country u would never be here at first place... but this is how it is in our countries,, so many none make sense laws to follow + no one cares.. my ck was delayed for over 8 month because trouble in name and verification ... i`m sure u will manage to solve that problem some how smiling face

On Jul 23, 2010 - 4:24 PM, rfm responded:
thanks you hyvee...ISA it will work out

To me, you are young sisters and brothers. I don't think I am Old. How can you think you are " old"?

We come to this country for a good reason. We struggle, we fight, we hope to live a better life day by day. No matter what the result it will be at the end, at least, I can be proud of myself because I never give up.

We have the valuable experience as a physician back to our original country which the fresh graduates don't have. These are treasury. The physician need the rich experience to be good. Let's use our advantage.

Good luck

Ok! i graduated in 91 and i am applying this year. I saw that a lot of California programs are liberal. Try those out.

Good luck

Welcom IMG1988 and drdrdr...good to have you both on boardnod

I must admit, I like both yor determintation and I agree with IMG!(**...we will do our best and never have regrets that we didn't..

@drdrdr....my medical school is not listed in the ones from which graduates can be licensed in california..so I can't apply there even if I wanted toshaking head

good luck to both of you and I salute your spiritnod

Bookmark and Share

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.

Login or Register to post messages

show Similar forum topics

somebody plz help""""
"Good" or "bad" program?
"Sponsor" and "Accept" Visas
show Related resources

The IMGs Guide for USMLE and Residency
IMGs Guide to US Medicine and Residency
First Aid for the IMGs

Advertise | Support | Premium | Contact